Grants< Previous Grant 4 of 45 Next >
BC Accessibility Grants ProgramRick Hansen Foundation and Province of BC
BC Accessibility Grants Program
Receive up to $20,000 to improve the accessibility of your location!
What is the BC Accessibility Grants Program?
Organizations that have been rated through the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility CertificationTM (RHFAC) program can apply for funding of up to $20,000 to complete an accessibility improvement project (see sample projects).
An accessibility improvement project must:
- be made to a building or site that has received an RHFAC rating;
- result in tangible and permanent improvements for people with disabilities in the built environment;
- be used for improvements to existing buildings only (not for new construction);
- be completed within one year of funds approval; and
- receive matched funding (applies to for-profit applicants only).
Any non-profit or for-profit commercial, institutional, or multi-family residential site in BC that has completed an RHFAC rating can apply for funding:
- Commercial spaces include retail shops, offices, industrial sites;
- Institutional spaces include schools, recreation centres, trails and pathways; and
- Multi-family residential spaces include condominium entrances and shared common areas.
How it works
There are five steps to applying for funding through the BC Accessibility Grants Program.
1. Book and complete your RHFAC rating.
An RHFAC rating will give you a snapshot of the meaningful accessibility of your building or site. Ratings are free for commercial, institutional, and multi-family residential buildings in BC until March 2019. Please email email@example.com to get started.
2. Download your Rating Scorecard.
After your location is rated, you’ll receive notification from the RHFAC Registry that your Rating Scorecard is ready. Download and submit your scorecard with your BC Accessibility Grants Program application.
3. Complete and submit the BC Accessibility Grants Program application.
Use our online application system to submit an application by:
- Completing the application form (PDF application form for reference)
- Uploading your Rating Scorecard,
- Uploading a budget using our Excel template, and
- Agreeing to the BC Accessibilty Grants Program Agreement for Performance of Charitable Activities .
4. Receive notice of successful application status and complete project
If your application is successful, you must complete your accessibility improvement project within one year of funding approval.
5. Complete your final report and submit your receipts.
Once your improvement project is completed, complete and submit your final report and all invoices and receipts to RHF for reimbursement.
The BC Accessibility Grants Program will be available in multiple rounds. Please see below for the full list of dates.
Application deadline: February 1, 2018
Applicant notification: May 2018
Project and final report completed by: May 2019
Application deadline: July 1, 2018
Applicant notification: October 2018
Project and final report completed by: October 2019
Application deadline: December 1, 2018
Applicant notification: March 2019
Project and final report completed by: March 2020
Have questions? Read our BC Accessibility Grants Program FAQ.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support for this Program from the Province of British Columbia through the Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction.