News Release< Previous Article 25 of 96 Next >
City of Castlegar Wins UBCM Community Excellence in Sustainability AwardCity of Castlegar
CASTLEGAR - The City of Castlegar accepted the UBCM Community Excellence Award in Sustainability for its Columbia Avenue Complete Streets Project.
These awards are given to projects/programs that incorporate a long-term sustainability lens by considering cultural, social, economic and environmental issues in planning, policy and practice.
The $8 million Columbia Avenue Complete Streets Project turned the city's main roadway into a complete street which includes:
- raised bike lanes traveling in both directions (separated from the main vehicular travel lanes by a roll-over concrete curve)
- a 3-meter wide sidewalk which improves the walking experience for pedestrians
- a modular, suspended pavement system which provides rainwater management through absorption, evapotranspiration, and interception. This system supports the health and growth of many trees that were planted as part of this project
- pre-serviced lots for future development
- public art in the form of sculptures, banners and concrete stamping
- benches and innovative amenities such as pet drinking fountains and charging stations at the bus shelters
Planning is currently underway for the Columbia Avenue – Phase 2 project and a public information session will be held this fall. To sign up for project updates, visit: https://castlegarconnects.ca/columbia-avenue-phase-2.
More information on the UBCM Community Excellence Awards can be found here.
The City of Castlegar is a service centre in the West Kootenay. The diversified and growing economy is focused on the forestry, energy and mining sectors in the Valley, and commercial services in the City. Quality of life features backcountry adventure and an increasingly dynamic urban culture, including the Millennium Park & Ponds and Sculpture Walk.
For more information, contact:
Last Changed: Sep 25, 2019 10:37am