Current News Releases
- Colwood Wins Award of Excellence for Sustainable Infrastructure Replacement Plan
The City of Colwood has been recognized with an Award for Excellence in Government Finance for the Sustainable Infrastructure Replacement Plan.
April 23, 2019
- Squamish Nation and District of Squamish Sign Community Forest Governance Agreement
The Squamish Nation and District of Squamish have signed a historic agreement that defines a governance structure to put control of approximately 10,000 hectares of forest land squarely in the hands of the community.
April 17, 2019
- New Westminster's Fibre Network Connects to Commercial Districts
The City of New Westminster’s own open-access fibre network, BridgeNet, continues to connect New West, enabling high-speed internet service choices for residents and businesses. BridgeNet is currently in its third year of construction with on-net ready access to 12 commercial locations and 28 residential buildings, with many residents and local businesses already enjoying the benefits of fibre internet services.
April 12, 2019
- Fort St John Mayor Lori Ackerman Named the 2019 Canadian Energy Person of the Year
The Energy Council of Canada has chosen Mayor Lori Ackerman of Fort St. John, British Columbia as Canadian Energy Person of the Year.
April 8, 2019
- Regional District of North Okanagan Awarded Emergency Preparedness Grants
The Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) has been awarded two grants through the Community Emergency Preparedness Fund for evacuation route planning at Kingfisher/Mabel Lake and for Emergency Operations Centre training.
April 8, 2019
- Northern Development Initiative Trust Announces New Housing Programs
Northern Development Initiative Trust today announced a suite of Housing Programs that will support local governments in the creation of new, market-based housing units across Northern B.C.
April 5, 2019
- Former Castlegar City Staffer Pens Book Promoting Positive Civic Values
Local author, speaker and veteran community builder Diane Kalen-Sukra’s new book Save Your City: How Toxic Culture Kills Community & What to Do About It is being hailed by national civility advocates, media pundits and governance experts as a must-read for community leaders and citizens.
April 4, 2019
- UBCM Provides Update on Double Gas Tax Transfer
The Government of Canada announced a one-time doubling of Gas Tax transfer nationally as part of the 2019 federal Budget. The $2.2 billion transfer will result in a one-time payment of $278.6 million for British Columbia to support local government infrastructure and capacity building priorities.
April 3, 2019
- Budget 2019: Turning Point for Cities and Communities
Federation of Canadian Municipalities President Vicki-May Hamm issued the following statement after the release of the Government of Canada’s 2019 federal budget.
April 2, 2019
- Cariboo Regional District Area F By-Election Preliminary Results
The preliminary results for the by-election for Electoral Area F Director are as follows: LeBourdais = 315 O’Neill = 27 Rerie = 50 The official election results will be announced Tuesday, April 2. Election information can be found at cariboord.ca/elections.
April 2, 2019