Current News Releases
- Gibsons Takes a Green Step Forward with First-Ever Urban Forest Plan
The Town of Gibsons is pleased to announce the launch of its first-ever Urban Forest Plan (UFP), which will assess the current condition of Gibsons’ tree canopy and provide a strategic roadmap to help inform urban forest management for years to come.
January 10, 2024
- Abbotsford Recreation Centre Receives Funding to Improve Air Quality and Accessibility
The heat recovery and optimization project at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre is set to make the building more energy efficient and decrease greenhouse gas emissions, after an investment of more than $4.45 million from the federal government.
January 9, 2024
- Burnaby Introduces Stronger Climate Requirements for New Construction
Burnaby is getting a head start on BC’s Zero Carbon Step Code by voluntarily implementing higher requirements of this code ahead of the Provincially-mandated timeline.
January 8, 2024
- Successful Book Recycling Pilot Leads to Permanent Program at the Central Okanagan Regional District
The pilot launched in mid-April and diverted over 40,000 kg of books from the landfill. Due to its success, the program will now continue for 2024.
January 8, 2024
- Thompson Nicola Regional District Board Approves 2024 Capital Plan
Some significant capital projects that have been budgeted for in 2024 include Pritchard Water Treatment Plant, TNRD Regional Fire Departments Next-Generation 9-1-1 Upgrade, Monte Creek Fire Hall, and Lower Nicola Eco-Depot Building Rebuild and New Recycling Baler.
January 4, 2024
- North Okanagan Regional District Acquisition Contributes to Greater Vernon’s Status as Trails Capital of BC
The Regional District of North Okanagan is very pleased to announce the acquisition of a 4.2km section of the former Grey Canal irrigation flume from Coldstream Ranch for a future recreational trail.
January 3, 2024
- Metro Vancouver Releases Updated Housing Data Resource
Metro Vancouver’s Housing Data Book has been updated for 2023 and is available to policymakers, researchers, media, and the public for free. It consolidates a large amount of regional and municipal data in one place, providing a comprehensive overview of the region’s housing market and those affected by it.
December 29, 2023
- The Regional District of East Kootenay Reaches New Collective Agreement
In addition to the wage increases, the agreement includes some updates to extended health benefits, a change from a three-week earned day off rotation to a two-week rotation and the addition of two wellness days for employees to focus on mental health, caregiving or personal wellness.
December 27, 2023
- Surrey Takes Action to Speed up Development Application Timelines
During its Regular Council Meeting Monday, Surrey City Council approved changes that exempt apartment buildings up to six stories and commercial/office buildings up to three stories from requiring Advisory Design Panel (ADP) review, provided they are supported by staff.
December 20, 2023
- Trail and Rossland Sign Recreation Agreement for 2024
The agreement permits residents in Rossland to use Trail’s recreational facilities (including the Trail Aquatic and Leisure Centre, the Trail Memorial Centre, the Willi Krause Fieldhouse, and various other fields), programs and services at the reduced Trail Resident Program (TRP) fee.
December 19, 2023