News Release< Previous Article 8 of 79 Next >
City of Nanaimo Council Signs Code of ConductCity of Nanaimo
NANAIMO - At their meeting on Monday, February 4, 2019, Nanaimo City Council unanimously voted to adopt a code of conduct. Written with the conviction that the residents of Nanaimo are entitled to a fair, ethical and accountable municipal Council, the code details four foundational principles for each member to abide by in their dealings with each other, City staff and citizens:
- Integrity – being honest and demonstrating strong ethical principles.
- Respect – having due regard for others’ perspectives, wishes and rights; displaying deference to the offices of local government, and the role of local government in community decision making.
- Accountability – an obligation and willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one’s actions.
- Leadership and Collaboration – an ability to lead, listen to, and positively influence others. It also means coming together to create or meet a common goal through collective efforts.
The code recognizes responsible conduct is essential to providing good governance for the City of Nanaimo and was signed by all members of Council. A copy of the code can be found on the City website at www.nanaimo.ca.
- The code of conduct details the foundational principles of responsible conduct including integrity, respect, accountability, leadership and collaboration.
- Mayor and Council each signed the code of conduct at the February 4, 2019 Council meeting.
"It is an honour and a privilege to serve the citizens of Nanaimo and our Code of Conduct provides a foundation of how we will conduct the City's business. This is a commitment from all members of Council to work together in a constructive way and treat each other, staff and citizens with dignity and respect."
City of Nanaimo