Current News Releases
- Ladysmith Council Adopts New Official Community Plan – ‘Unparalleled 2049’
The OCP review was coined ‘Unparallel 2049’ in reference to the community’s location on the 49th Parallel and Council’s commitment to climate action and reducing our greenhouse gas emissions ahead of the 2050 net zero emissions deadline.
May 8, 2023
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Launches New Tools to Improve Communication and Engagement
The Regional District is introducing the SLRD Update – an email newsletter, in May, 2023. Additionally, the Regional District is launching the Get Involved SLRD online engagement platform, where residents will have the opportunity to engage in a variety of projects by offering feedback and input.
May 4, 2023
- Central Saanich Adopts New Official Community Plan
Protecting and enhancing the rural and small town character of the community is a key principle of the newly adopted OCP. Policies remain strong on protecting agricultural lands and supporting farming, and the District’s urban containment boundary is unchanged. Throughout the OCP there are a number of policies to improve relations with First Nations and advance Truth and Reconciliation, and climate action is a clear priority supported by policies in each section.
May 3, 2023
- Central Saanich Offers Businesses Free Bike Racks and Grants for EV Chargers
The Business EV Charger Grant offers up to 50 per cent of the overall cost of installing a public Level 2 charging station for local businesses and non-profit organizations. The District is also offering up a limited number of public bicycle racks to eligible businesses and organizations at zero cost.
May 2, 2023
- British Columbia Court of Appeal Rules in Favour of City of New Westminster Continued use of Residential Rental Tenure Zoning to Protect Existing Rental Stock
This decision has broad-ranging implications for other municipalities, as it confirms that the residential rental zoning power may lawfully be used to preserve existing rental stock, even if the subject units are stratified.
May 2, 2023
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Launches New System to Streamline and Improve Building Department Process
The SLRD has launched its online permitting system using Cloudpermit, a cloud-based electronic permitting software solution widely used by various levels of government in B.C, and around the world.
May 1, 2023
- Flood Mitigation Framework, Projects make Abbotsford Region More Resilient
A significant multi-government agreement to make Sumas Prairie more resilient to flooding was signed on Friday, April 28, 2023, by the Province, Semá:th, Matsqui and Leq’á:mel First Nations, the City of Abbotsford and the City of Chilliwack.
April 28, 2023
- Penticton Pilot Project Diverts 12,300lb of Books to Recycling
The City launched the three-month trial on Jan. 25, 2023 after noticing that residents were placing books into their home recycling carts, which are not accepted by RecycleBC and count as contamination. The campaign involved partnering with ‘Planet Earth Recycling’ to place recycling bins in the lobby of the Penticton Library.
April 28, 2023
- Securing Public Safety for Surrey and the Province
The Province is recommending the City of Surrey continue its transition to the Surrey Police Service, because it ensures public safety for people in Surrey and throughout British Columbia, while offering financial assistance to protect Surrey taxpayers.
April 28, 2023
- District of Lantzville and CUPE Local 401 Ratify Three-year Collective Agreement
Terms of the agreement ratified by Council and the CUPE Local 401 Lantzville members this week cover the period January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2025. The agreement includes increases to some of the annual limits on extended health benefits such as physiotherapy, mental health and vision care, wage increases of 4 percent in 2023 and 2024, and 3.5 percent in the final year.
April 27, 2023