BC Spirit FestivalsMinistry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts
The Province is providing $3 million this year to support arts and cultural festivals in more than 150 communities across British Columbia through the 2010 Sports and Arts Legacy. The BC Spirit Festivals program will support festivals in communities during February, the anniversary of the 2010 Games. Spirit festivals will be delivered across B.C. through local arts councils and community partners.
The program will be administered by the Assembly of BC Arts Councils, with support from the BC Arts Council. Grants will be based on population and will provide up to $50,000 to produce festivals in communities. Applications will be adjudicated through a peer-review process.
Applications for the BC Spirit Festivals program will be accepted starting August 1 until on October 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm. After this initial intake, support may be available for festivals that embody the vision of BC Spirit, and take place throughout 2011.
Applicants must be one of the following:
- a member of the Assembly of BC Arts Councils
- an Aboriginal cultural organization
- an Aboriginal Friendship Centre
- an Aboriginal Band Council
The grant may equal up to 75% of total project costs; however, proposals that demonstrate diversified revenue sources will receive priority. The maximum grant available per organization is:
• Up to $10,000 for organizations in a community with a population of fewer than 7,000
• Up to $20,000 for organizations in a community with a population between 7,000 and 80,000
• Up to $50,000 for organizations in a community with a population greater than 80,000.