Age-Friendly CommunitiesMinistry of Health
The Age-friendly Communities grant program is intended to assist local governments in BC to best support aging populations, develop and implement policies and plans, or undertake projects that enable seniors to age in place and facilitate the creation of age-friendly communities.
The Ministry of Health has committed an additional $0.5 million in funding to the program and grants are now available for 2018 community planning initiatives or community projects.
Formerly under the Seniors’ Housing and Support Initiative, which was launched in 2004 through a one-time $2 million grant from the (now) Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing, the Age-friendly Communities program continues to assist local governments to prepare for an aging population.
Between 2007 and 2017, the Ministry of Health provided $3.75 million to further support the initiative and to incorporate a focus on age-friendly communities. Age-friendly Communities grants have been offered to 144 local governments and 286 plans or projects have been completed or approved for funding.
2019 Age-friendly Communities ProgramApplications are now being accepted for the 2019 program. The application deadline is November 2, 2018.
- 2019 Age-friendly Communities Program & Application Guide [PDF - 89 KB]
- 2019 Stream 1 Application Form [DOCX - 60 KB]
- 2019 Stream 2 Application Form [DOCX - 63 KB]
2018 Age-friendly Communities Program
- 2018 Program & Application Guide [PDF - 186 KB]
- 2018 Final Report Forms - due within 30 days of project completion and no later than January 31, 2019:
The SeniorsBC website provides information about government programs and services for older adults and it the key information source for the Age-friendly BC initiative. This website is maintained by the Seniors' Health Promotion Team.
- AFC/SHSI Summary of Funded Projects, 2005-2018 [PDF - 252 KB]
- Age-Friendly Rural and Remote Communities [PDF - 683 KB]
- Becoming an Age-Friendly Community: Local Government Guide [PDF - 4.9 MB]
- Global Age-Friendly Cities Guide [PDF - 1.5 MB]
- Planning for the future: Age-friendly and Disability-friendly Official Community Plans[PDF - 311 KB]