BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of West Kelowna
Development Engineering Technologist
DIPLOMA AND ONE YEAR MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
West Kelowna is a thriving city that has a rural sophistication appeal and is a haven for outdoor recreation. Sun- soaked lakeshores, agricultural charm, and access to urban jobs and living have made West Kelowna the place to be. We maintain a deep connection with our agricultural roots and we celebrate the one-of-a-kind character of our community. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, numerous employee wellness incentives, an earned time off program and professional development opportunities.
The Development Engineering Technologist will be supervised by a registered BC professional engineer (P.Eng.)
Awarding of Training Opportunity: To be successful for this training opportunity, applicants must meet the requirements and commit to the training opportunity terms and conditions.
On-the-Job Experience and Training: The successful applicant for this opportunity will be gaining experience towards becoming a fully qualified Development Engineering Technologist (5 years design and inspection experience in the field of Municipal Engineering). The exact length of the training opportunity may vary based on the previous education and experience of the successful applicant.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The Development Engineering Technologist training opportunity provides technical review and assessment on multifaceted land use applications such as subdivision, OCP and zoning bylaw amendments, development permits and building permits. Responds to requests for information or technical assistance from consulting firms, land developers or external agencies related to subdivision or development of land. The successful applicant will demonstrate good knowledge of engineering design, strong customer services skills and the ability to communicate established policies and procedures with tact, discretion, and a thorough understanding of the City’s Bylaws.
Our Ideal Applicant:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum one year’ experience in design and field inspection of municipal facilities, including waterworks, sewage, roads, and structures
- Ability to acquire certification as an Applied Science Technologist (in Civil) or a Certified Technician (in Civil) with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) within 24 months.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Auto CAD, GIS Systems, etc.
- Good knowledge of technical terms and high attention to detail
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude, and exercise tact and diplomacy to maintain good internal / external working relationships
- Strong customer services skills and the ability to communicate established policies and procedures with tact and discretion
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to plan and prioritize effectively
Pay Rate: The trainee will start and progress to each level of pay after their milestone (5 years equals pay grade 9, 3 years equals pay grade 7, etc) as they demonstrate the competencies and abilities associated with 5 years design and inspection experience in the field of Municipal Engineering. This will be communicated in a training plan for the trainee and Manager.
Time Commitment to the Position: The successful applicant will be required to remain in the Development Engineering Technologist position for a minimum of the amount of time it takes the applicant to become fully qualified.
Applications are accepted online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applicants will need to upload their cover letter, resume and drivers abstract when applying.
Competition No. 23-61E | Closes October 22, 2023
Full Time – Permanent | 35 hrs/wk | $35.24-$42.05/hr (Based on Years of Experience)
Benefits | Municipal Pension Plan | Earned Time Off Program
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: 1 year to less than 2 years
Rate: $35.24 to $42.05 Hour