BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director Planning, Performance and Risk
We are seeking an experienced, client focused leader to join BC Assessment as the Director, Planning, Performance and Risk.
BC Assessment is a Provincial Crown Corporation that develops and maintains real property assessments throughout British Columbia in addition to providing real property information. BC Assessment serves the citizens of British Columbia and has 13 offices throughout the province.
In BC Assessment, our people and culture are important to us. We work together to create a culture that appreciates differences in all forms. We trust and respect each other, and are invited to bring our whole selves to work. We are committed to making BC Assessment the best possible place to work, and through our efforts ultimately contribute to a better British Columbia. Our employees are at the heart of our organization and we are proud to be recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for the tenth year!
At BC Assessment, we offer competitive benefits for our employees:
- Work-life balance – 35-hour work weeks, hybrid work options and flexible work schedules
- Public Service Pension Plan – one of the best in Canada, allowing you to plan for your future.
- Health and Wellness - generous extended health and dental benefits through Pacific Blue Cross and an Employee Assistance Program to help support our employees overall well-being.
- We offer a reduced-cost bus pass through the BC Transit ProPASS program and our Uptown office has a secure bike storage and secure change rooms with lockers.
- Career development – we want you to grow and learn with us! We provide ongoing learning, leadership development and career development scholarship program.
- Our office is located in Saanich, BC at Uptown which overlooks several shops and coffee shops and is walking distance to the Galloping Goose trail network.
The Director, Planning, Performance and Risk reports to the Vice President Finance and leads and supports BC Assessment’s (BCA) Senior Leadership Team, Executive, and the Board of Directors in developing and implementing a multi-year integrated corporate business plan, monitoring the results and outcomes of BCA’s initiatives, and ensuring key performance indicators and risk mitigation strategies are in place.
The Director ensures planning and risk management policies, procedures and controls are in place and ensures the ongoing development and monitoring of required accountability documents including the Government Letter of Expectations, the Service Plan, Annual Service Plan Report, and Performance Metrics.
The Director provides leadership to multi-disciplinary teams, is a strong communicator, facilitator, and collaborator. The Director is an integral member of the Finance Division and BCA’s Senior Leadership Team.
You are a visionary leader who can establish credibility and influence behavior across a diverse of groups and can move from consultation to quality results in an inclusive and collaborative way. You are a coach and mentor to others and can inspire and foster a culture of accountability, cooperation and creativity.
If you are a strategic thinker who is passionate about driving a customer centric approach to decisions and is able to step into logistics and details to ensure quality results, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity!
- Provides strategic advice and recommendations on business planning, business continuity, risk management, key performance indicators, and other related issues to the Board, Executive, Senior Leadership Team, managers, and staff.
- Leads and directs multi-year business planning and decision support functions including overseeing the operational plans and performance results of BCA Divisions. Directs the preparation of multi-year operating plans and scenarios including prioritization and coordination of initiatives to improve resource allocation and stewardship of tax-payer dollars.
- Maintains a robust enterprise risk management program, fraud risk management strategy, and business continuity program to ensure risks are identified and mitigated within acceptable tolerance levels and critical function are resilient.
- Leads consultation meetings for business planning, performance reporting, enterprise risk management, and business continuity processes. Manages all related communication, education, facilitation, change management, and dissemination of associated reports and documents.
- Monitors achievement of the organization’s operational and strategic objectives, programs, projects and initiatives in a manner which complies with legislative frameworks, sound internal controls and risk mitigation.
- Leads the development and monitoring of required regulatory accountability documents, including BCA’s Mandate Letter, three-year Service Plan, annual Service Plan Report, and Performance Metrics.
- Develops and maintains clearly defined performance monitoring and reporting processes that meets decision-making and operational needs and ensuring key performance metrics are clearly linked to strategic and operational outcomes.
- Works in collaboration with Executives and Senior Leaders, to identify and implement corrective action to ensure BCA plans meet its financial and operational goals.
- Presents and discusses analyses of business and risk issues to a variety of audiences including the Board of Directors, Executives, and other leaders and managers.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with provincial government officials, professional bodies, and counterparts at BCA and in other organizations.
- Provides leadership, supervision, coaching and mentoring for a team of professionals.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- University degree in business, finance, management or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in business administration, public administration or equivalent may be an asset
- Ten years related experience in strategic and business planning, reporting, and corporate performance management leadership roles in large, complex organizations
- Minimum 5 years experience leading teams (direct and indirect reports), including managing performance, providing feedback, establishing goals and work plans, preferably in a public sector, unionized environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, preparing reports
- Strong collaboration, business partnering, and facilitation skills to enable positive and productive working relationships.
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
Location: Victoria, BC - Uptown
Compensation: $141,475 to $172,850 annual (Expected salary upon hire up to $145,000)
Competition Close Date: October 2, 2023 @ 11:59 am (PDT)
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more
Rate: $141,475.00 to $172,850.00 Year