BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Engineering Technologist 1 (Traffic)
Status: Regular Full Time (CUPE)
Salary: $40.13 - $47.38 per hour
Closing: February 12, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
Come join our Engineering team in this exciting full-time position of Engineering Technologist 1 (Traffic) position.
This position includes technical, administrative and field work to provide Transportation/Traffic Engineering solutions for the City’s growing infrastructure.
You will assist in developing conceptual designs for the City’s Complete Street Corridors, including solutions for cyclists and pedestrian facilities.
You will be conducting and reviewing a wide variety of traffic studies including Traffic Impact Assessments submitted by traffic engineering consultants, Traffic Calming Solutions, Signal and Crosswalk Warrant analysis and providing excellent customer service responses to requests from our residents.
Knowledge and experience with the Motor Vehicle Act and Transportation Association of Canada guide books is an asset.
Ability to perform conceptual/preliminary design exercises using Civil 3D software is preferred.
You will research, develop, schedule and administer specific Municipal programs and projects, manage long-range program budgets, prepare technical reports and recommendations on transportation initiatives and other technical matters. As part of this position you will assess and propose recommendations for improvements to road designs and traffic management plans.
A diploma from an Institute of Technology in an appropriate discipline (Civil and/or Electrical/Electronics) plus sound related Municipal engineering experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Certification or eligibility for certification as an Applied Science Technologist within the Province of BC
Have a valid class 5 B.C. Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract is required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a diploma program from an Institute of Technology in an appropriate discipline plus sound related Municipal engineering experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience and or, knowledge in AutoCAD, and traffic modeling programs will be an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of Municipal design and engineering standards relative to all aspects of land servicing and of the rules, regulations, by-laws and policies pertaining thereto.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and installation of Municipal utilities.
- Sound knowledge of engineering mathematics, models and of Municipal engineering plans, specifications, contract documents and data related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of computer applications and capabilities as related to the work performed such as CAD, Word processing, spreadsheets and database.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of budgeting and standard costing procedures as related to engineering programs and operations.
- Ability to research, develop, schedule and administer specific Municipal construction projects, to prepare cost estimates, and to assist a superior in the compilation of the preliminary annual and long range program budgets.
- Ability to prepare designs for specific public works services, and to review drawings and plans for technical accuracy and conformance to Municipal and other agency guidelines, by-laws and specifications.
- Ability to prepare plans, contract specifications manuals, forms and related data for tender purposes and to read and interpret same.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of internal and external contacts and to provide technical information, advice and interpretation of engineering requirements, policies, procedures, proposals and related matters to same.
- Ability to deal effectively through verbal and written communication regarding public complaints and requests.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the technical and financial impact of proposed developments and to make recommendations related thereto that are consistent with applicable requirements, standards, regulations, by-laws and related criteria.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, statistics, reports and correspondence related to the work.
- Skill in the use of drafting and calculating equipment used in the work.
LICENCES AND CERTIFICATES
- Certification or eligibility for certification as an Applied Science Technologist within the Province of British Columbia.
- Driver’s License valid in the Province of British Columbia.
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting [email protected].
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $40.13 to $47.38 Hour