BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Requisition ID: 37233
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As a member of the Human Resources Service Centre team, performs administrative functions and provides professional level support services to the organization’s business units and to the overall Human Resources (HR) department. The HR Associate provides front-line services and support to leaders and staff in relation to HR processes, policies, established interpretations and related questions. The HR Associate performs workflow updates in relation to the maintenance and processing of all aspects of the employee life-cycle including hiring, status changes, position changes, benefits updates, terminations, grievances, training and absence documentation. Running reports to reconcile and confirm accuracy of data, to prepare grievance and file summaries and other related research is also required.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Manager, HR Service Centre, the HR Associate works closely with a variety of members of the HR team to ensure consistency and accuracy of information shared and workflow processing. Key contacts include business unit managers, employees, HR Consultants, Compensation Analysts, Pension Specialists, LR Consultants, Case Managers, Recruiters, Payroll Clerks and Union representatives.
- Responds to inquiries from managers, HR staff, and employees on a variety of HR related issues regarding HR policies and procedures, collective agreements and employment standards matters
- Researches, summarizes and provides advice to ensure City policies and collective agreement provisions are followed
- Provides information and education directly to employees regarding benefit eligibility and coverage, bank entitlements, pay rates, and seniority
- Processes and maintains employee benefits, pension and compensation information through various workflow systems and SAP by verifying accuracy of electronic staff action forms (eSAF) and compensation action forms (eCAF) and confirming as required
- Problem-solves with payroll staff, HR team members and business unit with respect to overpayments, reclassifications, and time entry related issues including researching and recommending next steps
- Updates and utilizes various databases and systems (e.g. SAP, GMS) to create and respond to data and reporting requests
- Extracts data to identify trends, issues for resolution, or find data discrepancies and initiate action as required. Works closely with HR Analytics team and the business unit to ensure data validity
- Manipulates data summarizing it for presentation as appropriate for the required audience including HR Consultants, Managers, and business units
- Maintains position control within SAP, including creating new positions and organizational units and structures
- Maintains and drafts Job Share Agreements compatible with organization policy and collective agreements
- Prepare retirement reports for employees and departments, calculating last day worked based on work schedule and quota bank
- Provides ad hoc training to managers and employees on various HR systems and processes
- Researches, calculates, and provides explanation on various reports such as attendance, seniority dates, and other HR system reports
- Participates in, makes recommendations on, and documents various HR processes including collective agreement implementation, policy implementation, and HR process improvements ( including technology such as Service Now)
- Provides organizational and administrative functions such as maintaining filing systems (VanDocs)
- Creates a variety of case files for the functional areas, ensures complete file content and appropriate file naming convention
- Reviews, processes and maintains records related to the grievance process and collective bargaining
- Schedules meetings/workshops and takes minutes at a variety of HR related meetings including, grievance, and investigation meetings
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Human Resources and three years’ related experience in a unionized environment or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to explain and apply HR programs, policies, procedures, and collective agreements
- Working knowledge of grievance practices and procedures
- Working knowledge of benefits administration and pension rules
- Ability to research and analyze a variety of HR-related data and issues
- Considerable experience using an HRIS to extract, analyze and summarize HR data
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing, including the ability to prepare business correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work, work under pressure with constant interruptions
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization to provide exceptional customer service
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to use computer software such as Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Internet, SAP
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Human Resources (1020)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2023
Position End Date: December, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-040: $57,037 to $71,301 per year
Application Close: December 14, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years
Rate: $57,037.00 to $71,301.00 Year