BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Civil Engineer II - Development and Major Projects
Requisition ID: 37422
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
To manage the planning and construction of major development projects from the perspective of the regulatory/approval body and owner of the delivered infrastructure. Negotiate on behalf of Engineering Services with developers, land owners, consultants, and government bodies to ensure that the best interests of the City are met with respect to infrastructure and amenity design and delivery.
Reporting to the Manager of the Devlopment and Major Projects Branch, this management position is a key contact in Engineering, representing the department’s interests in city-wide initiatives and policies, Policy Statements, Community Plans, Official Development Plans and in large area developments in the rezoning, development permit and construction phases. The position also provides direct supervision of junior engineers, project managers and engineering assistants in the branch.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and guidance to junior engineers, project managers and engineering assistants including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring, training and development, and discipline up to and including termination.
- The section head is responsible for setting the operational direction as well as developing and implementing procedures for the section responsible for facilitating large area development in the policy, Official Development Plan, rezoning, development permit, and construction phases.
- Manages/fosters the relationship between the City and the development/construction industry, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public.
- Oversees the design, construction, and acceptance process for large scale developer funded road works.
- Represents Engineering Services in multi-disciplinary project technical teams that process large and/or complex developments
- Liaises with consultants, contractors, engineers, other professionals, stakeholders, developers, land owners and regulatory agency representatives for development application review and approvals
- Responsible for instructing Legal Services and reviewing legal agreements to facilitate development, primarily for the purposes of securing public works, rights-of-ways, encroachments and options to purchase, while limiting risk and liability to the City.
- Leads meetings between internal staff, developers, and consultants.
- Responsible for developing and modernizing relevant department by-laws, policies and guidelines as well as supporting changes to interdepartmental policies.
- Responsible for developing and reporting on section metrics, administering project accounts and identifying financial risks.
- Makes presentations to Council, Committees of the Whole, and advisory committees to Council.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Civil Engineering; registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- Five to ten years of related experience involving a broad range of engineering, operational, and administrative responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive background in the City’s land development process and relevant City by-laws.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the department’s role in the land development process.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies and their application.
- Ability to effectively negotiate complex issues with developers in the best interest of the department, City, and taxpayers.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and influence others while respecting the sensitive and political challenges that impact decisions.
- Proven ability to innovate, lead and implement change in the workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple projects and processes with competing schedules and resources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-091: $102,256 to $127,830 per annum
Application Close: December 11, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more
Rate: $102,256.00 to $127,830.00 Year