BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Electrical Design Engineer
Requisition ID: 36001
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Electrical Design Engineer will be responsible for electrical engineering design work and serving as Engineer of Record (EOR) for street lighting, traffic signals and power distribution designs on assigned projects. In addition, Electrical Design Engineer will provide project coordination/managing, cost estimates, third-party design reviews, follow EGBC quality management guides and perform other duties related to City's electrical and communication infrastructure and within responsibilities of Traffic, Electrical Operations and Design – Electrical Design department.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities for this role include, but may not be limited, to the following:
- Serve as Engineer of Record on internal electrical design projects
- Electrical engineering design work (power distribution, street lighting, communication, traffic signals etc.)
- Review designs prepared by electrical consultants/utilities/developers for electrical off-site scope
- Resolve electrical design issues throughout project lifecycle as required
- Performs quality audits/control reviews of work developed by peers, designers and drafters
- Assist in the preparation of the department’s specific standards and procedures
- Provide estimates for the engineering budget and schedule
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that design services are provided within projects timelines
- Explore and implement cost effective ways of delivering services
- Provide management with project updates
- Communicate effectively with the electrical engineering team and project stakeholders, including the Customer
- Develop business cases and provide strategic analysis for new and emerging initiatives
- Directly supervise electrical designers assigned to assigned projects ensuring that their work meet all regulatory requirements
- Represent the City on other committees and working groups
- Investigate, analyze and respond to 311 service requests/concerns from Citizens related to electrical infrastructure
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- A minimum of 3 years of related engineering experience
- Accredited project management training (e.g. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) and/or construction management experience would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of electrical engineering principles, standards, and specifications, as they relate to the municipal environment (IES RP-8, CEC, MMCD etc)
- Working knowledge of quality management systems, ideally EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management system
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills in a high volume and high stress environment
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work and think strategically, including experience with business case composition and evaluation
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
This position has the potential to become permanent for the right candidate.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All employees are subject to this policy and all new applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2023
Position End Date: January, 2025
Salary Range 80: $89,283 - $111,609 per annum
Application Close: December 14, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years
Rate: $89,283.00 to $111,609.00 Year