BC Local Government Job Posting Service
District of Kitimat
Utilities Department Leader
Regular, Full Time
The District of Kitimat is recruiting for a Utilities Department Leader. Under the direction of the Director of Operations or Deputy Director of Operations, the Utilities Department Leader provides maintenance, repair and extension services for municipal water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer systems and facilities through the coordination and supervision of one or more crews.
Located in Northwest BC, Kitimat is a master-planned greenbelt community and home to just over 8,000 residents. Kitimat provides a stable tax base and is experiencing growth from increased levels of industrial, residential, and commercial development. We are in the process of upgrading our water treatment system, and this position will play an important role in both start up and operations.
This position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, professional development opportunities, complimentary use of our recreation facilities, relocation assistance and a one-year rental subsidy.
- Planning, assigning, coordinating, training and supervising the work of crews including preparation of schedules, organization of crews, materials and equipment while working within a budget.
- Completes documentation and reports including work requests, weekly project reports, time cards, stores and materials requisitions and usage, progress reports, cost estimates etc.
- Ensures the safety of work crews and the work sites by following policies, procedures and safety regulations
- Organizing and directing excavation, grading, pipe installation and tapping of water mains for laterals or service connections.
- Determining and analysing problems, directing repairs and maintenance to water pump stations, chlorination stations, sewer lift stations, wastewater treatment plant, broken or plugged sewers/ water lines/hydrants/valves/other appurtenances of the waterworks system.
- Assisting in the preparation and monitoring of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Use SCADA to obtain full water and sewer system status.
- Organizes and directs the afternoon snow removal shift including clearing of roadways, sanding and salting, towing of vehicles, overseeing shovel crew, clearing of hydrants, bus shelters, and walkways.
- Certification under the Environmental Operators Certification Program:
- Water Distribution Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Water Treatment Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Wastewater Collection Level 1
- Wastewater Treatment Level 1
- Chlorine Handler certification
- Driver’s license, Class 3, with airbrake endorsement
- WHMIS, Traffic Control certification, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and Forklift certification
- Strong supervisory and communication skills
- Ability to coordinate, plan, budget, and schedule department workloads and tasks
- Understanding and application of trade techniques and practices related to: concrete work, asphalt work, catch basins and drainage, underground water/sewer infrastructure, valves and fire hydrants, plumbing, electrical, instrumentation, mechanical spreading and leveling techniques.
Wage Information: $50.62 per hour, 40 hours per week
At the District of Kitimat, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve, establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please email us at [email protected] and we will work with you on arranging an accommodation where possible that is suitable for your abilities.
To apply for this position, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter to [email protected]. This position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about Kitimat, visit Kitimat Bound and Youtube
To learn more about our water treatment pilot plant, watch this video.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $50.62 Hour