BC Local Government Job Posting Service
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents. Denman Island is part of the Gulf Islands Archipelago. Denman’s year-round population of approximately 1,100 is an eclectic mix of artists, farmers, retirees, and progressive-minded people seeking a rural lifestyle in a beautiful environment that includes forests, lakes, orchards, parks, and rocky shorelines. Living and working on Denman Island offers a vibrant arts scene, lively events, a beautiful, natural environment and many opportunities for active recreation.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that is second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are seeking up to two Lifeguard/Instructors to join our Recreation Services team. This position delivers a variety of instructional and recreational aquatic programs to patrons at Comox Valley Regional District facilities. Reporting to the Manager of Recreation Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Performing lifeguarding duties including monitoring pool activities, performing rescues, enforcing pool rules and ensuring safety of patrons, and administering first aid and CPR as required.
- Ensuring a safe and clean environment for facility patrons and staff to prevent injuries and eliminate hazards.
- Performing daily maintenance duties such as water tests and keeping the pool deck, change rooms, and lifeguard office clean and orderly.
- Planning, preparing, and instructing swimming lessons and aquatic based programs.
- Completing and maintaining accurate records such as up to date lesson program cards, attendance records, red cross/lifesaving reports, and administration forms.
- Providing appropriate feedback to lesson participants and parents with recommendations for improvement.
- Organizing and supervising structured games and activities during public swim sessions and special events.
Our ideal candidate is:
- An engaging and encouraging instructor capable of connecting with swimmers of all ages
- Attentive and responsive with strong swimming and lifesaving skills and a minimum of six months of directly related experience, including minimum completion of Grade 10
- Current in lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques with the following certifications: WSI and NL, Aquasize Instructor, Adaptive Aquatics (or equivalent), Lifesaving Instructor, Standard First Aid, CPR C and AED and criminal record clearance (Note: certain shifts may require other specialized certifications)
- A respectful communicator with a professional approach to customer service
- Detail oriented and able to keep accurate and complete records
- Safety conscious and able to effectively respond to emergency situations when required
- Flexible in working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is open until filled. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The CVRD acknowledges the unceded, traditional territory of the K’ómoks First Nation on which we live, work and play.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset