BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Senior Project Engineer or Project Engineer (Tunnelling) – 2 Positions
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Project Delivery
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Our Project Delivery Department is seeking a Senior Project Engineer or Project Engineer who will work in the Tunnelling group performing complex and varied engineering and project management work, generally on a large scale tunnelling projects for the Region’s water and wastewater systems.
You are a registered Professional Engineer with 4-6 years recent related experience since receiving your professional registration. You are an organized thinker, proficient in developing and executing project work plans and are able to work without direct supervision. You are accustomed to managing consultants and contractors to obtain quality results, and you can seamlessly transition between the office and field work environment. You are effective in oral and written communication with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. If this sounds like you, you should join our team.
The Senior Project Engineer reports to the Lead Senior Engineer and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 3A job family.
- Performs complex and varied engineering and project management work that may involve project design, construction, and management of large, complex, heavy civil engineering projects such as tunnels. These projects may include, among others, the Annacis Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Outfall project and the Stanley Park Water Supply Tunnel project.
- Applies principles and practices of profession to ensure results are achieved in a sound and practical manner.
- Analyzes and assesses requirements and recommends optimal methods for achieving objectives.
- Responsible for overall project budgets and monitors and controls costs ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds. Participates in short and long range planning.
- Makes decisions and provides recommendations on a variety of issues with broad policies and mandates as guidelines. Uses ingenuity to devise original, practical and economical solutions.
- Prepares and reviews project designs, technical reports and contract specifications for consulting services, equipment and construction. Acts as Metro Vancouver’s appointed representative in assigned matters of project and contract obligations including project initiatives, site inspections, and determination of regulatory requirements. May be required to negotiate significant technical or financial interest on behalf of Metro Vancouver.
- Directs the actions of consultants recommending changes to scope and negotiating new terms as required. Deals with full range of project dimensions that may include legal, property, community engagement, and liaising with various levels of government, and other regulatory bodies.
- Explains difficult concepts and persuades others to adopt a point of view, supports position with evidence, research or experience gained in similar situations. Typically acts as a project leader and actively works to encourage teamwork, collaboration and efficiency.
- May supervise professional engineers and/or technical staff engaged in complex technical work. Peer reviews the work of colleagues and provides guidance to consulting engineers and technical staff. Acts as a resource to staff members for advice and guidance on potential approaches and problem situations. May be a resource for presentations and questions to the Metro Vancouver board, committees and municipal councils.
- May work as a technical/specialist resource, collaborating with senior engineers, management and/or government officials in the development of regulatory or government policy initiatives affecting Metro Vancouver.
- Participates in the design, preparation and approval of engineering standards in area of specialty.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- A Bachelor of Applied Science degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- 4-6 years recent related experience following receiving your professional registration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
- Preferred experience in tunnel design and/or construction and the use of technical review boards, dispute resolution boards, geotechnical baseline reports, risk registers and risk analyses.
- Sound technical knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and their application in relevant discipline. Ability to act as a resource to staff and provide sound and practical guidance for unusual or problem situations.
- Ability to interpret and apply engineering and technical guidelines and principles related to area of specialization such as technical manuals, codes and regulations, contracting policies, safety regulations and corporate and board policies. Ability to adapt or adjust guidelines and procedures for unique or difficult situations.
- Proven contract administration and project management skills. Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a complex series of project components for large complex projects to meet multiple time based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy. Ability to resolve problems within established guidelines and procedures; ability to use judgment to determine which methods are applicable in any given situation.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including letter, report writing and presentation skills. Ability to explain difficult concepts and persuades others to adopt a point of view or way of doing things.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that are considerably complex and time sensitive. Skill in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations including dealings with the public, member municipalities, government agencies and contractors. Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment and deal effectively with disagreements and prevent the escalation of conflict.
- Ability to work under broad direction and use significant independent judgment to problem solve when more than one option is possible. Ability to identify opportunities to address emerging needs. Proven ability to take initiative, work with minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines. Ability to meet timelines and objectives requiring persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the organizational culture, processes and mechanisms necessary to attain work objectives; upholds Metro Vancouver’s reputation through positive and forthright dealings with other organizations and members of the public.
- Ability to supervise, coach and guide others while enhancing individual and team effectiveness. Ability to mentor and foster the development junior engineer, technical staff and direct reports as required.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license.
*Candidates with lesser experience may be considered at the Project Engineer level, along with the applicable rate of pay.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ2S+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Metro Vancouver is implementing a COVID-19 vaccination policy. As a condition of employment, newly hired Metro Vancouver employees will need to be fully vaccinated (subject to any exemptions and accommodations) and be required to provide proof of vaccination. Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 28, 2022.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 5 years or more