BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Curatorial Assistant (Community Services Assistant 3) Surrey Art Gallery
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
Are you passionate about contemporary art curation and can demonstrate knowledge of contemporary art and curatorial practices and want to develop skills in developing exhibition production and collection development? Surrey Art Gallery is offering a paid position for a recent graduate with an undergraduate or graduate degree in visual art, museology, curating, art history, and/or a related discipline.
Internationally recognized for its award-winning programs, the Gallery is the second largest public art museum in the Metro Vancouver region. Exhibitions change quarterly and admission is always free. We show all forms of contemporary art by local, national, and international artists, including digital and audio art. Our programs include engaging artist talks, tours, and multiple art making and learning opportunities with artists, educators, and other specialists.
You’ll work out of the Surrey Arts Centre, home to the Surrey Art Gallery as well as the offices of the City of Surrey’s Public Art Program, Surrey International Children’s Festival and Surrey Civic Theatres. You’ll be surrounded by creative people and will be mentored by skilled administrators. You’ll be inspired and find your effort and ideas valued!
Union – CUPE Local 402 - Auxiliary
- Contribute to the day-to-day activities of our public art institution.
- Work with curatorial staff on the planning and implementation of exhibition installation, developing didactic texts, registration of recent acquisitions, and the archiving recent programming records.
- Assist with event planning such as exhibition tours, artist talks, and reception events. You will conduct and compile research on artists and artworks on loan from other institutions and other works in the Gallery’s permanent collection.
- Develop administrative best practices including familiarization with the basics of exhibition contracts and loan agreement forms.
- Work collaboratively with contemporary artists, curators, gallerists, and community organizations.
- Completion of Grade 12 and some post secondary education from a recognized institution, supplemented by 2 years related experience including supervision in cultural work or area of specialty or an equivalent acceptable combination of training and experience.
- Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR Certificate or acceptable equivalent.
- Interest in and an aptitude for efficient research and thoughtful analysis, skills in writing, organizing information efficiently, and will be a self-starter.
- Demonstrate a curiosity about culture, and will have excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and other presentation tools.
- Enjoys working in a dynamic environment and thrives in situations requiring meeting deadlines and adapting to change.
This position is funded in part through Young Canada Works’ Building Careers in Heritage program, and therefore applicants need to meet specific eligibility requirements, including are legally entitled to work in Canada; will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment; and have completed a certificate or degree program (as defined by their educational institution) within the last two years. To find out more, visit: www.youngcanadaworks.ca.
This position will be for 17 weeks (up to 20 weeks, dependant on start date). Hours are typically Monday to Friday 30 hours/week, including some hours scheduled in the evening and weekend.
Applicants under consideration will be required to provide proof of qualifications and consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: 2 years to less than 3 years