BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager of Human Resources
The City of Fernie is seeking an experienced Human Resources Manager with a broad range of experience and expertise to establish and lead the HR department and function for the City.
Fernie is a true mountain community, featuring world class outdoor recreation, a thriving cultural scene, the enthusiasm of a vibrant youthful population and a scenic, tranquil location in the heart of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Fernie is a three-hour drive west from Calgary, Alberta, and just one hour from Canadian Rockies International Airport near Cranbrook.
Our team at the City of Fernie is focused on delivering exceptional service to the community and transforming what it means to work in, and work with, local government.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Administration, the Manager of Human Resources will provide strategic advice and leadership in all aspect of human resources including labour relations, collective bargaining, performance management, recruitment, disability management, compensation and benefits, OH&S, staff development and HR analytics.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of the City’s Management Team with an opportunity to expand the breadth and scope of their responsibilities over time by demonstrating impact and achieving results.
This is a unique opportunity to join the City of Fernie at a time of significant organizational renewal. You will be the first Human Resource manager employed by the City, and responsible for establishing the division. Your colleagues are committed to high standards and are developing a high-performing organization while enjoying life in this world-class destination to the fullest.
As the ideal candidate you will have:
- Exceptional relationship building skills and an ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and presence with key stakeholders across all levels of the organization
- The ability to solve problems and quickly assess and confirm complex situations through effective listening, consultation, data analysis and analytical skills
- A commitment to continuous improvement in yourself and in the processes and systems you influence and lead
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deliver clear, concise, audience-focused materials
- Experience managing and being part of teams, and have a collaborative and inclusive leadership
- A CPHR designation and a relevant degree in HR, public administration, business administration or related discipline
- Three to five years of experience working directly in Human Resources within a complex unionized environment, ideally in the public sector, and be on a trajectory towards more complex and challenging roles.
You have high standards and will set work objectives that are aggressive, yet realistic, and you are well respected for your professionalism, commitment, and passion.
As a key member of the management team for the City you will establish formal processes for general HR functions while also providing analysis and strategic advice to leadership and colleagues on issues related to labour relations, personnel, performance and attendance management, and overall HR policies and procedures. A key responsibility for the position will be to analyze and operationalize findings from a report on Human Resource practices at the City completed by the Auditor General for Local Government.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding leadership role, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search, by 5:00 pm PST, Oct. 29, 2021. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits, and details of the compensation. Late applications will not be considered.
Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment
The City of Fernie strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, City of Fernie will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience: 3 years to less than 5 years