BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Closing Date: June 20, 2021
At the City of Kamloops, we believe in progressive and barrier free recruitment for everybody everyday. This means employment opportunities for all in a safe, inclusive and diverse workplace. We know our city is stronger when we hire qualified individuals from different backgrounds with diverse experiences, cultures and perspectives.
We are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates our employees who make it all happen. We are known as Canada’s Tournament Capital and are famous for our hospitality and community spirit, traits that make us a leader! Recreation, sports, arts and culture, health care, social activities, volunteerism, and affordable housing all meld to form a unique blend of big city amenities with small-town ambience. This is Kamloops!
Let’s make Kamloops shine! Join our team today.
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for Permanent, On-Call clerical positions with the City of Kamloops. These positions offer candidates a great opportunity to meet many staff and work in various City departments such as Kamloops Fire Rescue, Engineering, Civic Operations, Finance, Switchboard, Print Shop and Mailroom.
Clerical staff are responsible for providing coverage for vacation, sick calls and short-term leaves throughout the City. If you are looking for a position that supports your exceptional customer service and organizational skills, all the while enhancing your knowledge of the City’s operations then this Clerical position may be a great fit for you!
Our ideal candidate will posses the following qualifications:
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of a post secondary certificate in administration or business plus one year office experience OR three years’ office experience, one of which being in a large, multi-faceted organization.
- Three months previous accounting experience or completion of a Financial Accounting course.
- Minimum one year previous experience working in an office environment where dealing with the public in person and on the phone was a significant part of the job.
- Basic skills in office systems technology, including print/fax/copy/cash handling/debit/credit machines.
- Proficient in intermediate Word, intermediate Excel, and intermediate PowerPoint as demonstrated through testing. A 70% pass rate is required.
- Proficient in intermediate alphanumeric data entry, as demonstrated through testing.
- Minimum typing speed of 45 net words per minute, as demonstrated through testing.
- Valid Drivers License – class 5 or equivalent.
More than one may be hired.
Note that as this is an on-call position, there is no guarantee of hours. This position does require a minimum of 3 days availability between Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check. This position will receive 14% in lieu of all benefits, vacation, stat holidays, and health time.
Hours & Days of Work
Various days and hours of work.
Hours per Week
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with diversabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
Employment Length: Unknown
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: 1 year to less than 2 years
Rate: $28.11 Hour