BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager of Public Works
Tl’azt’en Nation is seeking an experienced manager to provide direction and leadership to its Public Works department. The successful candidate will be a key member of our Senior Leadership Team and be responsible to direct the departments’ planning and operations, reporting to the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable in construction and maintenance and is a positive leader who demonstrates strong planning and organizational skills. As a manager, you will supervise the Public Works staff comprised of full time, part time and / or seasonal workers as well as contractors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Technical Planning and Operations
- Develop and present an annual plan for construction and maintenance, including new, preventative, and routine maintenance, of all Nation owned infrastructure.
- Develop a detailed plan and schedule for work activities, including projects and routine maintenance, with work assignments and timelines.
- Prepare estimates for each work activity or project, including personnel and material requirements, and track the estimates vs actuals for each project.
- Manage various construction and renovation sites.
- Coordinate and conduct routine inspections and audits to proactively identify deficiencies and mitigate major issues.
- Set standards, coordinate, and supervise loading and unloading of materials and machinery.
- Lead the development and implementation of safe work practices and promote a culture of teamwork and safety to mitigate workplace accidents.
- Lead safety audits and safety discussions to continuously improve workplace practices and enhance staff’s knowledge about workplace safety.
- Set standards and coordinate cleanliness and orderliness of maintenance yards and warehouses.
Stakeholder Relations and Communication:
- Foster positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including contractors and other service providers, to leverage partnerships and support a productive working environment.
- Set up and use appropriate supervisory strategies to provide direction, guidance, instruction and correction for staff.
- Identify staff’s training needs and coordinate this through formal training and peer-based training and mentoring.
- Participate and supervise the development of budget and budget controls while providing financial accountability over all departmental work activities.
- Set up and coordinate a robust bid / quotation process for requesting, receiving, and comparing quotes from suppliers.
- Develop strategies, policies, and protocols in support of meeting the departments’ mandate.
- Set up and maintain appropriate records for managing inventory including use of digital (picture) images.
- Remain informed and comply with required safety legislation.
- Source out and develop proposals to help meet community’s public works needs.
- Set up controls to comply with security, privacy and confidentiality requirements.
- Provide advice, guidance, and recommendations to Chief and Council and other relevant Boards.
- Prepare and deliver reports in writing and verbally.
Skills and Qualifications
- Work experience of 10 years with demonstrated progressive levels of responsibility and supervision is required.
- Demonstrated technical experience and proficiency in infrastructure, construction, and renovation management is required.
- A degree or diploma in construction, trades or related areas is requested.
- Must be able to create and read technical reports, blueprints and diagrams.
- Strong planning and project management skills.
- Proven ability to provide positive leadership and instill a strong culture of teamwork and safety.
- A demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
A cover letter and resume outlining how you meet these qualifications is requested, c/o: MNP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are assessed as they are received therefore early application is recommended.
Closing Date: April 25, 2021
Candidates who meet the above criteria will be contacted for an interview. Proof of certifications will be required prior to employment.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
Job Experience: 5 years or more