BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Capital Asset Analyst
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh and Musqueam Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The West Vancouver Financial Services Department is currently seeking a Permanent Full-Time Capital Asset Analyst to join our highly qualified team and provide leadership with respect to strategic tasks, as well as to conduct a wide range of day to day activities, paying attention to details and delivering complex analytical reports on time.
This job requires extensive experience in managing tangible capital assets (facilities infrastructure, equipment, etc. – this portfolio does NOT include financial investments); accounting training and designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA – designated or close to designation); “super user” Excel skills; hands-on experience in managing very large data sets and working knowledge of one or more ERP/accounting systems. Candidates will be required to demonstrate skills, knowledge and abilities is these areas – this is a “hands on” job. Experience in public sector accounting and knowledge of PSAS are an asset, but are not mandatory. This position requires a combination of working remotely and in-office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- compiling, reviewing and validating large data sets representing the District’s capital assets with extreme accuracy
- maintaining, improving and communicating the District’s asset registry and 20 year asset management plan
- preparing monthly and year-end capital journal entries, account reconciliations, and TCA continuity schedule
- developing the annual capital budget; quarterly reports; regular variance reviews and remediation strategies
- liaising with internal and external contacts such as other sections of Financial Services, other Municipal Departments, other Municipalities and external auditors on matters related to asset management
- leading the implementation of new IT tools and business process improvements in asset management
- monitoring the availability of grants for capital initiatives and preparing applications for appropriate projects
- accounting for capital funds, reviewing capital requests with consideration of available funds
- performing other related duties as required within a results-oriented and highly-driven team environment.
The successful candidate will demonstrate ability to: prepare a variety of financial reports, statements and working papers related to the work performed; compile and analyze data from multiple sources to determine the impact on tangible capital asset valuation and maintenance; assist in maintaining and improving a comprehensive tangible capital asset valuation system, procedures and data base; and, establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
The successful candidate will be required to supply a police information check and a copy of their credentials, including their accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA).
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on WestNet.
Union (WVMEA) Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$40.37 per hour (2020 Rates)
11:59 p.m. on May 2, 2021
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Length: Permanent
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $40.37 Hour