BC Local Government Job Posting Service
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Horticulture Student Labourer
(Parks and Environmental Services)
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbour, and is a scenic forty-five (45) minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking, or sailing.
The District of Sooke has two (2) Horticulture Student Labourer employment opportunities in the Parks and Environmental Services Department. The anticipated work term is from April 26 to October 1, 2021, subject to change.
Reporting to the Manager of Parks and Environmental Services, the Horticulture Student Labourer completes manual work duties, entailing physical effort and agility, and requiring skill and ability in the application of fundamental practices in construction, inspection, and maintenance of parks, trails, and natural areas. The Horticulture Student Labourer receives regular task assignments and progress and completion inspections from the Parks Operations - Lead Hand and is expected to exercise independent judgment in the completion of regular tasks to the best of their ability. Duties include specific tasks that may require training common to the parks field.
To be considered for the Horticulture Student Labourer role, applicants should:
- be enrolled in an area of study related to landscape horticulture
- have experience directly related to horticulture and general parks maintenance
- have experience in the use of tools, equipment and machinery required to maintain and construct park projects
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs grant and therefore applicants must meet the following requirements:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- International students are not eligible participants
This is a CUPE Local 374 position. The hourly rate for the Horticulture Student Labourer is $23.86/hour plus 15% in lieu of benefits.
To view the duties that the Horticulture Student Labourer could be expected to perform is located in the Parks Labourer job description. Please visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment.
Please quote 2021-002 Horticulture Student Labourer in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter, in pdf, outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Sunday, February 28, 2021.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: Experience an asset
Rate: $23.86 Hour