BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Building Inspector - Level 1, 2 or 3
If you are an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual who demonstrates initiative and wants to work for a forward- thinking, creative employer, then this opportunity is for you! The Development and Regulatory Enforcement Services Department with the City of Chilliwack, a growing and vibrant community of 85,000 located 100 kilometres east of Vancouver, is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of Building Inspector. Applicants with Level 1, 2 or 3 will be considered for this position. The City of Chilliwack takes great pride in its focus on providing excellent service to its citizens and we are looking for a like-minded person to join our team.
In this exciting role in Development and Regulatory Enforcement Services you will assist management to achieve an efficient operation in the Building Section of the Department through reliable performance of building, plumbing and heating inspections and observing municipal policies and security and safety practices. You must have the ability to exercise sound technical judgement in ensuring the compliance with and the interpretation and application of the bylaws, codes, regulations and rules while being tactful, firm, courteous and diplomatic in dealing with the public, as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with owners, contractors, tradesmen and other department officials and staff.
The ideal candidate will meet at least one of the following educational qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in an advanced Building Technology Course, specializing in the building trades, with qualifications in the additional subjects of plumbing and heating;
- Have a diploma in a Building Technology program, which must be completed within 3 years of appointment to this position;
- Have successfully completed a Carpentry Apprenticeship Program and are registered as a Journeyman Carpenter with the B.C. Government;
- Have successfully completed a Plumber Apprenticeship Program and are registered as a Journeyman Plumber with the B.C. Government.
You must also have the following qualifications:
- Qualified to Level 1, 2 or 3 in accordance with the Provincial Regulations and Building Officials’ Association of BC, or the ability to obtain certification by February 28, 2021.
- Sound knowledge of the British Columbia Building Code.
- Good working knowledge of the B.C. Plumbing Codes, along with other related bylaws, acts, standards and regulations pertaining to the building trade.
- Sound knowledge of accepted practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the building trades.
- A valid BC driver’s license.
We offer a great work environment that prides itself on employee satisfaction. The work week is Monday to Friday and the hourly rate for this unionized position is dependent on your level of qualifications and ranges from $32.58-$48.99 (Level 1: $32.58 – $38.33; Level 2: $35.41 – $41.66; Level 3: $41.64 – $48.99).
If this job is a good fit for you, apply at jobs.chilliwack.com and create your on-line profile.
Building Inspector - Level 1, 2 or 3 (Full Time)
Competition Number: 2020-56
Closing Date: September 29, 2020 4:30 pm