BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Be a part of something great!
Trades II Carpenter
Competition File #: 20-U088
Web Site: tol.ca
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 135,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Trades II - Carpenter to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Parks Operations Department. Reporting to the Parks Infrastructure and Cemetery Superintendent, in this unionized position you will be expected to perform of variety of advanced skilled journeyman carpentry and related specialized tasks.
- Perform carpentry work in the construction, alteration, repair and maintenance of buildings, floors, roofs, stairways, doors, windows, scaffolding forms, furniture, concrete forms, gates, fences, signs, door closures and door locks, piers, bridges, wharves and floating docks
- Construct and maintain benches, picnic tables and outdoor park furniture
- Install and glaze window and door glass and assist in general maintenance of all buildings
- Assess repairs needed and estimate for time and materials required to complete the task
- Supervise the work of one or more junior employees engaged in carpentry tasks, as required
- Sharpen, repair and maintain a variety of tools and perform other related work as required
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses related to the work, completion of a recognized trade’s time served apprenticeship, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Building Code, standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the trade
- Considerable knowledge of hazards and safety precautions of the trade
- Considerable knowledge in the use of wood fillers, paints, varnishes and skill in the use and care of all power and hand tools, materials, machines and equipment used
- A minimum of five years of journeyman carpentry experience is considered an asset.
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
- British Columbia Trades Certificate of Qualification – Carpentry, or equivalent
- BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 years option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License or the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $39.67 per hour (2020 rates), plus benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: September 22, 2020
External closing date for this competition: September 28, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.