BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Village of Anmore
Public Works Utility Operator
The Village of Anmore is inviting applications for the position of Public Works Utility Operator. This position performs a variety of duties related to general municipal operations including road maintenance, drainage system maintenance, park maintenance and water distribution. This is a skilled position, involving manual labour and equipment operation, requiring the exercising of independent judgment with a high level of awareness for safety of the worker, fellow workers and the community. This position will effectively perform a number of municipal related work tasks, under the direction of the Operations Superintendent.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintenance of roads, drainage systems and municipal facilities.
- Maintenance of roads and municipal property during winter conditions and required to operate snow plow and sander.
- Maintenance of ditches and drainage infrastructure, including flail mowing as required.
- Parks maintenance work including sod installation, seeding, planting trees, shrubs and flowers; turf maintenance; weeding; tree maintenance and general cleanup.
- Maintain Village trails in safe and responsible manner.
- Perform building maintenance.
- Perform light to heavy manual labour.
- Assists with the maintenance and repairs of vehicles, equipment and small tools.
- Assists in the implementation and maintenance of a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual maintenance for the Village’s water system.
- Directs traffic, places barricades and warning devices as required.
- Maintains drainage ditches manually and with equipment.
- Operates a variety of equipment including, but not limited to, trucks, lawn mower, tractor, power saw, string trimmer and other small power equipment.
- Performs a variety of functions required for the maintenance of parks and trails, water systems, roads, drainage ditching and public facilities.
- Regularly scheduled for standby and call out outside of normal working hours.
- Maintain records related to work activities through maintenance management system.
- Other related duties as required and assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience related to municipal public works or associated technical and operational functions, including municipal regulations.
- A thorough “hands-on” knowledge and understanding of municipal best management practices relating to the Public Works operations.
- Ability to create and develop systems and programs that support the effectiveness and efficiency of Public Works operations.
- Comprehensive and current knowledge of WorkSafe BC regulations and requirements as they relate to municipal Public Works operations.
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, outside agencies and the public.
- Ability to successfully deal with multiple priorities, be flexible, and problem solve under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to confidently exercise considerable independent judgment and make sound decisions that reflect well on the Village.
- Ability to effectively work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to act with tact and discretion around sensitive issues or situations and to maintain strict confidentiality as may be required or appropriate.
- A high level of written, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft software (i.e. Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Possession of a valid class 5 BC driver’s license.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with post-secondary education in the construction, civil engineering or related field.
- Possession of a certificate in the Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP), with a minimum of Water Distribution Level 1 is an asset.
A current driver’s abstract that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date below must be submitted with your application in order to be considered for this opportunity and in order for your application to be complete. To obtain a copy of your driver’s abstract, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside.
The hours of work for this position, generally, are Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm. However some flexibility in scheduling will be required.
The annual salary range offered for this position is $52,200 – $58,600, exclusive of benefits and on-call compensation.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a covering letter and resume to Juli Halliwell, CAO at:
Village of Anmore
2697 Sunnyside Road
Anmore, BC V3H 5G9
or via email to: email@example.com
This opportunity is open for receipt of applications until 4:00p.m. Wednesday, October 23, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Anmore, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: October 9, 2019, 3:16 pm
Expires: October 23, 2019, 4:00 pm