BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Administrative Assistant IIIRequisition ID: 14309
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Manager of Team Services, the Administrative Assistant III supports the General Manager, Directors and Branch Heads in Engineering Services. Key contacts include Council Members, CMT members, City Manager’s Office, Directors, Managers, Employees, outside agencies/stakeholders, other levels of government and the general public. The Administrative Assistant III is responsible for providing an extensive range of confidential and sensitive administrative support services, ranging from complex to routine, in a fast-paced environment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing the flow and storage of sensitive and confidential documents and inquires; screening, reviewing, editing and proofreading correspondence, emails, telephone calls, voicemails, etc., in accordance with the City’s record management system
- Managing the schedules, calendars, priorities, appointments, internal and external meetings, workshops, etc., for the General Manager, Directors and Branch Heads
- Coordinating and supporting group meetings and logistics
- Drafting correspondence, emails, agendas, meeting minutes, compiling documents and preparing for distribution
- Tracking and following up on correspondence and other types of inquiries; ensuring that responses to requests for information are completed in a timely manner
- Organizing travel arrangements; scheduling transportation arrangements; calculating the estimated expenses to be incurred; preparing and processing the necessary documentation
- Conducting research, compiling data and preparing reports for consideration and presentation by the Engineering Services Sr. Leadership team
- Maintaining confidential databases and reports
- Preparing various documents and reports from Branches for GM/Director review and signature
- Communicating key issues and concerns regarding: meetings, urgencies, and other priorities
- Using excellent judgement to prioritize and determine urgency of issues and escalates issue to the appropriate level of management as necessary
- Liaising with employees, Unions, government officials and legal counsel for information sharing, exchange purposes and complaint management
- Managing media calls (in conjunction with Communications) by determining the subject, deadlines, and necessary/appropriate follow through
- Preparing Staff Action Forms and Compensation Action Forms, as required.
- Completing SAP time entry and reporting.
- Providing backup and support for other Engineering Services Administrative Assistants
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented by courses in Administrative Management, with 5 years of experience working at a Sr. Management level in an administrative capacity, or an equivalent combination of education/experience
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including a thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and business math
- Superior ability to use computer software such as MS Office, VanDocs, SharePoint and SAP
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with highly sensitive and confidential information in support of senior management, internal audit, and other sensitive areas of City business
- Good judgement and constant initiative and diplomacy
- Heightened ability to anticipate and proactively deal with issues/problems before and as they arise
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work, all while under pressure with constant interruptions
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization and with the public in order to provide exceptional customer service
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Engineering Service’s leadership team, Engineering branches and other City departments
- Ability to research and analyze a variety of data and issues.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Position End Date: August, 2021
Application Close: Septemer 25, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Office Administration
Posted: September 11, 2019, 1:11 pm
Expires: September 25, 2019, 11:59 pm