BC Local Government Job Posting Service
BC Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing
Gabriola or Victoria
Bylaw Enforcement OfficerSalary $53,856.66 - $61,096.97 annually
Must possess and maintain a valid B.C. driver’s license.
Must be prepared to travel extensively within Islands Trust Area
Contribute your valued expertise
The Islands Trust is mandated to preserve and protect the Trust Area and its unique amenities and environment, in co-operation with municipalities, regional districts, improvement districts, the provincial government and other related organizations and people. Under legislation, each of the twelve local trust committees, and one municipality, is an autonomous local government with land use planning and regulatory authority.
Working independently, and reporting to the Bylaw Enforcement Manager, this position provides professional bylaw investigation services throughout the Trust Area. Specific responsibilities include: receiving and processing complaints, investigation of complaints, interpreting bylaws, and permits, establishing and communicating requirements for compliance to property owners, planners and local trust committees, monitoring and reporting enforcement status of all active files, preparing evidence for use in court cases and maintaining detailed, up to date, confidential records.
Qualifications for this role include:
- University degree relevant to the position or equivalent combination of education and direct work experience.
- Experience in law, private investigations or bylaw enforcement together with practical experience in preparing cases for prosecution or administrative processes.
A preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience with Acts such as the Local Government Act, Community Charter, Islands Trust Act, Land Title Act, Interpretations Act, Agricultural Land Commission Act, Condominium Act, Highways Act, Liquor Control and Licensing Act, Forest Act, Land Act, Heritage Conservation Act, and associated regulations.
- Bylaw Compliance, Enforcement and Investigative Skills Certificate; Investigation & Enforcement Skills Certificate from the Justice Institute of BC; or other accredited institution.
- Experience with community planning.
- Degree in planning, or experience in land use planning
For more information and to apply online by September 3, 2019, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/63390
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Bylaw Enforcement
Posted: August 13, 2019, 2:52 pm
Expires: September 3, 2019, 4:30 pm