BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Assistant City Solicitor
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city - and their careers - forward.
Recognized as a Top Employer year after year and distinguished as the only municipality to be named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, the City of Surrey is constantly looking for talented professionals and innovators who are ready to help us build a world-class city.
As Assistant City Solicitor, you will provide legal advice on the legal implications of all matters affecting the City in the field of corporate, commercial, real estate, employment, administrative and Municipal law to City Mayor and Council, City Manager, and other senior leadership of the City organization.
One of the City’s key projects is the transition to an independent municipal police service. One of your key responsibilities will be to assist with establishing the legal framework necessary for the establishment and operation of the municipal police service, and to undertake necessary legal work during the implementation of the municipal police service.
Reporting to the City Solicitor in the Corporate Services - Legal Division, the Assistant City Solicitor is responsible for the following:
- Researches, negotiates and prepares all manner of commercial contracts, service agreements, procurement documents, and other documents which further the needs of the City and the establishment and operation of the independent municipal police service.
- Advises on employment related issues related to labour and employment law within a unionized environment.
- Advises on all issues relating to freedom of information and the protection of privacy.
- Advises on corporate governance matters in relation to associated municipal corporations/societies/entities.
- Advises on and assists in the drafting and preparing of new and amending By-laws and policies.
- Researches and prepares legal opinions and reports on legal matters of considerable consequence based on knowledge of Municipal administration and legal interpretation.
- Exercises wide independence of judgment, when working in accordance with and limited by statutes and legal precedents.
- Provides a full review of legal documents sent to the City for execution.
- Manages files assigned to outside legal counsel, guides investigations, and develops legal strategies.
- Renders legal opinions on matters covered by existing legislation and the appropriateness and the constitutionality of proposed new By-laws.
- Consults with government on issues involving the drafting and revision and existing legislation.
- Serves on internal City committees and outside committees to represent the City's interests.
The City is looking for an experienced strategic thinker who can build strong working relationships with stakeholders throughout the City and region. Our ideal candidate shares our values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service and Teamwork, and can demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Post-graduate university degree in law (LLB or JD) and member in good standing with the Law Society of BC.
- A minimum of 5 years of a varied solicitor’s practice, with particular experience in contract drafting and negotiation, labour and/or employment law, and freedom of information and protection of privacy law. Experience in corporate governance and/or real estate transactions an asset.
- You are conversant with relevant statutes, regulations and by-laws, and adept at providing research and analysis on the legal implications of matters of law, legislation, procedures and operational and strategic decisions.
- You have the ability to communicate effectively – orally and in writing – with Council, the Senior Leadership Team, staff and the public to obtain understanding, agreement and/or approvals related to policies and programs.
- You possess superior presentation, negotiation, conflict management and interpersonal skills.
- You have a proven ability to plan and prioritize a varied workload and meet objectives under your own initiative, draft legal documents, conduct research, provide advice and problem-solve.
- You have the proven ability to deal tactfully, courteously and effectively with the public, staff, all levels of management and City Council.
- You are an innovative and creative service-orientated problem solver that takes actions to move issues to closure under tight timelines.
The City of Surrey has engaged Leaders International Executive Search to assist in this competition. Interested candidates are asked to apply directly with Leaders International by emailing their resume and cover letter to daven@LeadersInternational.com
All applicants that meet the qualifications will be contacted
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Legal Services
Posted: July 17, 2019, 10:16 am
Expires: September 24, 2019, 4:30 pm