BC Local Government Job Posting Service
HR Systems SpecialistFull Time Temporary (Up to 1 Year)
$69,700 - $94,100
Placement in the salary range is determined by an assessment of knowledge, skills, experience and ability of the candidate to meet the key requirements of the job. In addition, our pay philosophy is to align with the median of the range and be considerate of internal equity comparisons.
We love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too! We are happy you have decided to explore a career with BC Transit, this is a great city to work and live in. We are passionate about helping reduce congestion in the city and providing a public service to everyone in BC (except for Metro Vancouver). We have innovative new bus lanes being installed from Colwood to Downtown in both directions, real time GPS being installed in the full fleet across the province and we are beginning to explore mobile payment options among other things. It is an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we are looking for fun, creative, passionate people to join our amazing team. Not only would you work with an incredible team, you would also receive great benefits and a pension plan to boot. Keep reading to find out if this role makes you feel excited to come to work each day!
Manages the HR/Payroll system and other related HR systems and technical tools from a functional perspective. Maintains, supports and enhances HR systems by analyzing business requirements then designing, testing and implementing solutions including modifications to existing functionality or new functionality with current systems. Develops standard and ad hoc reports for the HR Division and the organization. Creates and maintains documentation related to system configuration, data entry procedures and cross-functional processes; provides training to ensure proper use of systems. While this position has no direct reports, the HR Systems Specialist provides day-to-day advice, guidance and direction to HR and Payroll staff. This role is forward-looking and regularly assesses the current and future technology needs of the HR division.
- As the system administrator for the ePersonality HR/Payroll System (HRIS), maintains front-end system function and configuration including but not limited to: leave policies, benefit and pension plans, payroll coding and processes, organizational structures, position control, salary tables, time and attendance, system variables, functional scripts and various other code tables. Troubleshoots and resolves issues, researches process flaws and gaps, and recommends solutions or alternatives. Works with IT staff to ensure back-end updates are tested and implemented.
- Oversees the technical administration for the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by implementing configuration changes, troubleshooting issues forwarded by the Recruitment Coordinator and escalating issues to software vendor as required. Liaises with IT and Communications staff to coordinate integration of ATS with other systems and products (e.g., Single Sign-On, HRIS-ATS interfaces).
- Plans, tests and implements modifications to the HRIS to accommodate changes to collective agreements (including mass updates), regulations and government legislation and in response to new and changing business needs.
- Evaluates and tests upgrades, patches and fixes provided by the database software vendor, consulting with IT staff before approving implementation of patches and fixes.
- Serves as the primary contact for technical issues by investigating, testing and resolving issues and escalating to IT and/or software vendors when appropriate.
- Works with Payroll Manager and HR Directors to implement system and process improvements by advising on system capabilities and collaborating on identification and development of solutions.
- Creates and maintains formal documentation related to system configuration, data entry procedures and cross-functional processes. Regularly communicates system changes and updates to users and other stakeholders at an audience-appropriate level.
- Maintains integrity of HRIS and ATS data by developing data entry standards for users, conducting regular data audits, resolving error logs, and maintaining a log of system changes.
- Manages business impact of information and systems changes, including leading the development and presentation of user training and communication materials; coordinates meetings to resolve problems related to process changes and linkages.
- Identifies and gathers reporting requirements to develop system-based or manual reports on a regular and ad hoc basis. Translates requirements from business to technical language and provides to IT staff for development of new or updated reports.
- Conducts analyses of employee data; generates statistics and develops projections to address specific business issues generating information upon which business decisions may be based.
- Responds to a variety of information requests to address internal needs and to comply with legislative requirements.
- Carries out ad hoc projects as required in support of divisional programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources Management, organizational development, information technology, computer science, or a related discipline plus a minimum five (5) years’ experience in an HR/ Payroll environment, preferably unionized. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered. Systems analysis or project management experience would be an asset.
- Strong IT skills including knowledge of relational database systems, data management principles, and reporting tools (knowledge of SQL would be an asset).
- Occupational Health and Safety Knowledge - Is knowledgeable about workplace health and safety, places high importance on safety and diligently follows safe operating procedures; promotes and displays a positive safety attitude and is proactive about safety for themselves, peers and customers.
- Planning and Prioritization - Proactively plans and organizes work activities and priorities; manages several tasks at once.
- Leadership - Seeks out and/ or accepts additional responsibilities in the context of the position and/ or mentors peers and encourages others to do the same; demonstrates initiative to improve outcomes, processes or measurements.
- Interpersonal Relationships - Develops and maintains effective relationships with others, relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy and politeness.
- Technical Knowledge and Continuous Learning - Applies and acquires new knowledge and skills including new and emerging trends or information in the industry; sets and pursues learning/ growth opportunities and goals.
- Initiative - Identifies opportunities and issues, and proactively acts and follows through on work activities to capitalize or resolve them.
- Collaboration - Actively participates as a member of a team and works well with others in supporting the vision, values and objectives of the organization; open minded to the ideas of others solicits feedback, listens to and involves others in decisions and actions; demonstrates respect for others and shares knowledge and expertise to help others succeed.
- Communication - Provides regular, consistent and relevant information to others and ensures appropriate individuals are informed; listens carefully to others, asks questions or clarification and responds thoughtfully; communicates in a clear and concise manner using appropriate content, style and method of communication to suit the needs of the individual or audience.
- This position is a 1-year contract
- This position will remain open until filled
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- Testing may be required
- If you have a disability which requires accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Extended health
- Life insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependent passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Human Resources
Posted: July 11, 2019, 3:13 pm
Expires: August 12, 2019, 4:30 pm