BC Local Government Job Posting Service
General Manager - Parks, Recreation and CultureRegular Full Time (Exempt)
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents and is one of the fastest growing municipalities in Metro Vancouver. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
As a result of a promotion, an exciting opportunity is available on our City’s senior leadership team as the General Manager of Parks, Recreation and Culture.
Reporting to the Deputy City Manager, the General Manager of the Parks, Recreation and Culture department is a critical role at the City of Coquitlam. The current incumbent is responsible for providing leadership in Parks, Parks Planning, Urban Forestry, Policy and Business Services, Community Recreation as well as Recreation Facilities Development. This position is responsible for an operating budget of approximately $29 million. The specific portfolios that will report to this position will be dependent upon the skill set of the successful applicant.
Superior leadership, interpersonal and communication skills are essential requirements complimented by a proven track record of success in building and maintaining strong relationships and the ability to influence, innovate, adapt and manage change. Building and establishing relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders such as community groups, consultants, our elected City Council and the public are essential to success in this position. In addition to the above, the successful applicant will have the ability to build highly effective teams and to ensure that the City’s values are reflected in department processes, practices, leadership style and culture.
Applicants should possess a Master’s or Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field. Education should be supplemented with 15 or more years in progressive senior management ideally within a municipal setting. This position requires the successful incumbent to have a thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations, policies and procedures that impact municipal administration.
Other Requirements include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills to make effective presentations before Council and executive level staff; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
- Strong financial acumen with proven experience in preparing and managing multimillion dollar operational budgets.
- Advanced business acumen and critical thinking skills to identify risks and leverage opportunities that can be addressed through organizational planning, creative partnerships and/or communication solutions.
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution abilities and the ability to respond quickly and decisively to emergency situations.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
- Knowledge of parks, recreation facility operations and culture initiatives.
- Strong negotiation skills to successfully secure partnership agreements for new open space and recreational facilities.
- Exceptional leadership skills to effectively oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of department programs, budgeting and resources.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with contractors, consultants, community groups, members of the public and external agencies.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs with a cover letter and résumé by 5:00 pm on April 4, 2019.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: March 14, 2019, 1:09 pm
Expires: April 4, 2019, 5:00 pm