BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Foreman – Irrigation, Dams & MetersThe City of Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, adventurous waterfront City focused on sustainability, community and economic opportunity. The Public Works Department is accepting applications from energetic, progressive individuals for the position of Foreman – Irrigation, Dams and Meters.
Working for the City of Penticton means we raise families where others come for their vacation. Our home offers the best beaches, cycling trails, parks, recreation facilities and mountain escapes, not to mention all the shopping and amenities a vibrant community needs. Why join us? You are looking for a career that makes a difference. We champion an innovative, thriving, sustainable community through visionary leadership, partnerships and service excellence.
Under the general direction of the Utilities Supervisor, the Irrigation, Dams, & Meters Foreman plans, organizes, supervises and participates in daily installation, repair and maintenance of City infrastructure related to water meters, reservoirs, dam structures, the agricultural irrigation systems and the related records management. This position involves year-round outside work. The Foreman – Irrigation, Dams and Meters is responsible for overseeing a team of 3, and must:
- Organizes, directs, trains, supervises and assists staff engaged in the duties of maintaining and constructing related City infrastructure.
- Conducts site inspections to plan and prioritize work, and to ensure work is of proper quality, on schedule, within budgetary requirements and satisfies safe work practices and regulations.
- Provides technical guidance, leadership, motivation, coaching, instruction and direction to work crews. In support of the Supervisor, reviews problems, evaluates worker performance and coordinates staff training.
- Trains, directs and supervises workers in operation, procedures and safe work practices, including equipment operation and use of tools. Ensures workers are following work procedures in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responds to enquiries from staff, contractors, various user groups, and the public. Maintains courteous and positive public relations with co-workers, customers, community representatives and contractors.
- Assists in developing, implementing and maintaining the departmental Health and Safety program. Assist in training staff and ensure workers are complying with Worksafe standards and the City of Penticton Health and Safety Policy.
- Monitors budget and program expenditures, maintains work records and prepares related reports.
- Participates in the planning, development and implementation of capital projects, operating and capital budgets, corporate policies/procedures, comprehensive maintenance programs and risk management.
- Researches new methods, services, materials and equipment to improve the operation, prepares cost estimates, reviews water meter sizing and installation requirements, recommend materials/equipment purchases.
- Provides relief for Utilities Foreman during periods of vacation or other absence.
- Assumes weekend standby duties with full responsibility for the handling of any problems related to the Public Works Operations.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Thorough and technical knowledge of related municipal infrastructure maintenance/construction principles, practices, standards, methods, tools, equipment and applicable safety regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively plan, direct and supervise others.
- Ability to utilize current computer technology.
- Ability to work co-operatively or independently, problem-solve and exercise independence of judgement.
- Ability to write reports, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret plans and specifications.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Operational knowledge of all works related equipment and tools used in City infrastructure installation and repairs as it relates to water meters, irrigation systems and dam/reservoirs.
- Five years’ experience in Public Works or related work environment with a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, ETC:
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- B.C. Driver's Licence – Class 5 (Class 3 with Air Endorsement – Preferred)
- EOCP Level 2 Water Distribution Certification
- Certificate of participation in BC Dam Safety and Maintenance courses
This position offers an hourly rate of $29.84 – 33.07 (Pay Grade 140, CUPE) and a competitive fringe benefits and pension package.
If you are seeking a challenging opportunity and possess the above mentioned qualifications, we would love to hear from you! We welcome your resume and cover letter prior to Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019 by 4:00 pm by email to:
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 19-22E
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 19-22E
Location: Penticton, BC
Region: Okanagan Valley / Similkameen
Professional Categories: Water Services,Irrigation/Sprinklers
Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:22 am
Expires: April 3, 2019, 4:00 pm