BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Requisition ID: 13058
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to Security Supervisor, this position is responsible for maintaining the safety and security of staff as well as members of the public visiting specified civic facilities.
- Key control
- building and grounds foot patrol
- alarm monitoring and response
- monitoring a CCTV system
- operating a computerized access control system and alarm monitoring system
- conducting investigations
- writing detailed and timely reports
- attending special events or public meetings
- assisting disabled persons and participating in emergency response team training
- detecting and responding to conflict and emergency situations as well as investigating unusual situations
- This position performs the duties of on call first aid attendant
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 preferred
- Minimum one year directly related experience working in a large corporate organization
- Or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence is required. The licence must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
- Occupational First Aid Level II
- Basic Security Training (BST)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Ability to navigate Microsoft Excel documents
- General computer and keyboarding skills
- The ability to observe, retain and demonstrate the ability to write a report
- The ability to understand oral and written instructions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to deal effectively with difficult or potentially volatile situations
- Ability to receive cooperation from a wide range of individuals and to take effective measures in emergency situations
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be physically capable of performing all duties including walking long distances, up and down stairs under varying weather conditions
- Prior to confirming an offer, you must provide a Police Records Check
Due to the nature of this position work hours will likely work at least one weekend day, the current anticipated shift is Thurs-Sat, 15:00-23:00 but can change due to operational requirements under the provisions of the Collective Agreement.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Reg. P/T Benefits
Position Start Date: April 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application Close: March 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.