BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Team Lead II
Requisition ID: 12923
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Public Engagement Lead - Transportation role is responsible for leading complex consultation processes involving competing interests and often politically sensitive issues, maintaining key stakeholder relationships, and providing strategic consultation support on a range of transportation projects.
This position will manage a small team of engagement professionals within the Transportation Design Branch, and be a strategic leader within the broader Transportation Engagement and Promotions team.
This role will initiate collaborative working relationships with other city departments, external organizations like Business Improvement Associations, transportation and public space advocacy groups, Vancouver Coastal Health, various levels of government, public, Council Committees and other key stakeholders to engage, consult, and inform them about transportation projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with a team of engineering and planning staff on a range of Transportation Design projects
- Represent the Transportation Design branch at other corporate and public events to answer questions or provide input about transportation policies, practices, and promotion
- Prepare timely responses to the public and stakeholders with tact and sensitivity.
- Lead high profile and sometimes contentious consultation projects
- Supervise the work of Planning Analysts as they develop consultation processes and conduct research, analysis and presentation of data for public materials
- Attend weekend and evening meetings and workshops to support consultation efforts and handle difficult issues should they arise
- Liaise with key stakeholders including other levels of government, special interest groups, citizen organizations, business interests, and other departments to provide ongoing updates
- Develop and implement strategic consultation methods that are tailored to the impacts of specific transportation projects
- Support annual public reports on key transportation metrics
- Assist in the development and analysis of public surveys
Education and Experience:
- Post graduate degree in Urban Planning, Planning, Communications, Engineering, Landscape Architecture or Public Relations with consultation experience supplemented by project management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of recent experience with a significant focus on consultation/issues management and stakeholder relations
- Considerable experience providing advice to senior managers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound judgement, discretion and diplomacy
- Promotes a team environment, works under tight timelines and ability to multitask
- Able to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships
- Excellent communication and consultative skills
- Has considerable knowledge of City policies such as transportation, environment, health
- Has considerable knowledge of and demonstrated skills in developing and implementing consultation strategies
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Suite and PowerPoint
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Position End Date: March 2021
Application Close: April 2, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Transportation Services
Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:00 am
Expires: April 2, 2019, 11:59 pm