BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Urban Designer/Development Planner III
Requisition ID: 13046
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Urban Designer/Development Planner III will be responsible for highly complex professional urban design and development and planning work consisting of consultation, negotiation, review, analysis and development of urban design concepts for medium and major developments. The successful candidate will also provide input into large scale area planning programs, rezoning applications and a variety of special projects including public realm plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare reports and make presentations to relevant Panels, including the Urban Design Panel, the Development Permit Board, City Council and in public meetings and sessions is required.
- Project manage developments from the initial enquiry through to issuance of the development permit, manage a project team, oversee input from review groups, and resolve conflicts and co-ordinate hand-off to building staff.
- The nature of this work is multi-disciplinary, within a team environment and can be controversial. It also involves supervision of junior professional staff.
- The position requires a high degree of skill and versatility in sound design judgement (strong skills in communicating urban design concepts graphically both digitally and by hand) and independent action within the parameters of work assignments, planning policies, by-laws and design guidelines.
- The work may also involve a high number of enquiries and public contact that requires consistent and accurate advice be given.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation, preferably with a post-graduate degree in Architecture, Urban Design or Community and Regional Planning.
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience in architecture and urban design, including extensive experience in the private sector, with demonstrated experience in management of large scale projects.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated design ability with an emphasis on large scale development.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in leading teams and in project management.
- Ability to work within a team environment and within defined time lines.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in negotiating and conflict resolution.
- Full working knowledge of AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, etc. is desirable.
A valid BC Driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia is required.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2019
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $55.35 to $65.47 per hour
Application Close: March 31, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: March 13, 2019, 3:13 pm
Expires: March 31, 2019, 11:59 pm