BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Program Assistant II - Inclusion Facilitator
Requisition ID: 13005
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Inclusive Summer Day Camps support children with disabilities in typical community day camp programs. The programs run out of Champlain Heights, Dunbar, Hastings and Hillcrest community centres and runs for eight to nine (8-9) weeks, Monday to Friday.
The position begins part-time June 1st, 2019. Participants will be required to work full time hours during the months of July and August.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Working as a key member of the day camp team, the Program Assistant II (PA II)-Inclusion Facilitator position is responsible for working with the day camp project manager and day camp leaders to create an inclusive environment. This involves modifying and adapting activities, out-trips, and communication methods to ensure successful participation of all campers. Reporting to the Integration Program Assistant III and the Access Services Recreation Programmer II the successful candidate will assist with camper assessments to determine suitability of camp for children and maintain regular and respectful contact with the caregivers of participants. The successful candidate will participate in the training, mentoring, and evaluation of volunteers assisting with camp. The successful candidate will support children with disabilities to be actively involved in a community setting, and to develop relationships with their peers. The successful candidate will work with the day camp team to ensure successful participation of all campers, including providing alternative activities for small groups as necessary.
This auxiliary position runs out of Champlain Heights, Dunbar, Hastings and Hillcrest community centres for 8-9 weeks during the summer months Monday to Friday. There are also additional hours required to be completed in June.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of six months related part-time experience in recreation (preferably in a camp setting) with an emphasis on working with people with disabilities within the past three years is preferred.
- Approved diploma in Therapeutic Recreation, Support Services or a related discipline and or an equivalent combination of training and experience; or
- Current and valid First Aid and CPR C Level 1 is required. (Applicants must attach a copy of their First Aid to their application)
- Current and valid Non Violent Crisis Intervention (CPI) training or willingness to obtain training is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Working knowledge of the behavior, needs and interests typical of participants
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and equipment used in playground recreational programs and activities
- Working knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed
- Some knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership
- Some knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Ability to effectively monitor activities and the behaviour of participants
- Ability to assist in the planning and carrying out of special events or programs
- Ability to lead groups and provide basic skills instructions in various activities
- Ability to render basic first aid as required
- Experience supporting volunteers is preferred
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationship with other facility staff and with parents
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: June 1, 2019
Position End Date: August 31, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $22.48 to $26.36 per hour
Application Close: March 29 , 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.