BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager, Information Technology
Exempt Position - Regular Full-Time
March 22/2019 *
* This posting will close on March 22/2019; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is confirmed.
Salary range of 105,191 – 115,995, plus benefits
- All submissions to be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position.
- Please quote the competition number on your submission.
- To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com
- VicPD is a leader in the application of information technology to support effective policing services. Established in 1858 and proudly serving the communities of Victoria and Esquimalt, VicPD has a long legacy of contributing to a healthy and safe community. Information technology is an increasingly vital component of our modern and progressive approach to the delivery of policing services. The Manager of Information Technology will play a key role in consolidating the department’s position as a leader in the application of innovative IT practices while planning for future enhancements to our technology, practices, and operational excellence.
- Under the general direction of the Director, the Manager of Information Technology will effectively manage the IT team, the IT work intake process, project prioritization, as well as the IT network, infrastructure, applications and security protocols in support of the IT Section’s strategic and operational plans.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Establish short and long term architecture and technology strategic plans. Research best practices and industry standards; assess future technological architecture needs; develop business plans to advance technology to meet the ongoing organizational needs; investigate, analyze and implement alternate delivery models; coordinate the ongoing development and maintenance of infrastructure systems; provide technical advice and prepare reports and recommendations to senior management.
- Manage and supervise the technical staff within the IT Section, including establishing organizational structure for program delivery; selecting and training staff; managing employee conduct, performance and attendance.
- Represent the Information Technology Section to other sections within the Department, other organizations, and the public including: responding to and advising other managers on technological matters; responding to complaints; working with vendors and potential vendors; and liaising with other agencies on best practices and developments.
- Develop policies and controls for project management of IT projects and business continuity of IT technology. Manage contractors; review and recommend options for IT network upgrades; review and revise IT contract services and fees; resolve policy effects of applications; participate in procurement of IT projects and infrastructure acquisitions. Resolve infrastructure problems; develop service level agreements; investigate and resolve underlying problems contributing to user issues.
- A mixed environment of servers with a preference on virtualization.
- A robust network infrastructure including switches, VPN, wireless, routers and firewalls.
- Phone systems both mobile and on premise.
- Managed database systems primarily SQL.
- Corporate email system, office suite and various specialized desktop and mobile applications.
- Enterprise mobile device management system.
- Multiple enterprise storage platforms including, backup, archiving and tape.
- Internet, Intranet and multiple web based applications or services.
- Heavy emphasis on policies and security including, email, network, spam and encryption.
- PRIME (Police Records Information Management Environment).
- Adobe Suite of software including Acrobat, Photoshop and Premiere.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- ITIL Foundation certification or equivalent.
- Completion of advanced project management courses or equivalent.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in associated technical areas.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven strategic planning, budgetary, performance management, and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to deal sensitively with critical issues and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to work independently, display initiative and exercise good judgement.
- Ability to deal with a high volume of work and meet deadlines by prioritizing work effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working and communication relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to write effective submissions, reports and correspondence.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated professional attitude and demeanour at all times.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive matters and exercise judgement and discretion at all times.
- A criminal record check, polygraph test and security clearance are conditions of employment.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Information Technology
Posted: March 8, 2019, 1:57 pm
Expires: March 22, 2019, 4:30 pm