BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Human Resources Advisor
Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2019)
Location: 4730 Kingsway
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
We need leadership, dynamism, and expertise to guide and protect the livability of our region. We need you.
Our Human Resources Department is seeking a Human Resources Advisor who will work closely with managers and HR staff to research, analyze, and write job descriptions ensuring a consistent approach is applied.
You are a Human Resources professional who possesses a combination of education and related experience in developing job descriptions in a unionized environment. Your demonstrated abilities include excellent communication, problem solving and teamwork skills. You thrive in an environment where you are given an opportunity to connect with employees across the organization and develop approaches to ensure goals are achieved in timely manner.
The Human Resources Advisor reports to the Director, HR Employee & Labour Relations and falls within our Professional/Technical Level 2 job family.
- Develops, updates and writes unionized position job descriptions ensuring duty, qualification and experience statements fall in line with collective and job evaluation agreements.
- Gathers, researches and analyzes information pertinent to job descriptions and classification such as the duties and responsibilities of a role.
- Conducts analysis and makes recommendations related to job descriptions; prepares new or revises existing job descriptions defining duties and responsibilities for the allocation of the position and ensures consistent use of terminology.
- Documents analysis and recommendations; prepares correspondence to advise client departments/managers of recommendations.
- Assists and supports management by providing professional advice on rights and responsibilities under collective agreements, pertinent legislation and corporate policies.
- Keeps current on applicable laws, statutes, and acts associated with scope of responsibilities.
- Provides guidance and technical expertise to employees and supervisors on compensation and classification matters.
- Responds to questions from employees and management and provides advice; promotes cooperation and teamwork.
- Works as part of a collaborative team to research, develop and write job descriptions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as business or human resources and experience working in a complex, multi-union environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Designation as a Certified Human Resources Professional is preferred.
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret relevant legislation and acts such as the Employment Standards Act and the Human Rights Code.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of human resources management principles including compensation and job evaluation.
- Ability to work under general direction and use sound independent judgment in adapting and applying procedures to address and resolve problem.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective listening and persuasion skills. Superior business writing skills including the ability to analyze and revise the content of job descriptions.
- Ability to draft non-routine correspondence clearly outlining the rationale for recommendations.
- Ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that may be controversial or highly sensitive.
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex analytical, interpretive and research work.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply collective agreement provisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented work environment.
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills; ability to analyze business needs and provide strategic input.
- Ability to provide professional advice and guide managers through the job description/classification process; strong analytical, interpretation and research skills and displays a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to meet timelines and objectives and demonstrates persistence to overcome obstacles.
- Practical knowledge of a complex human resources information system such as PeopleSoft.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by March 21, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Human Resources
Posted: March 7, 2019, 10:47 am
Expires: March 21, 2019, 4:30 pm