BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regular Full-Time (40 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Public Works Division seeks an individual with outstanding laboring skills, work ethic, attention to safety and customer service skills to join their team on a Regular Full-Time basis. With a heavy emphasis on civil construction, we will be looking for an employee with experience in road building, pipe installation, and concrete placing and finishing. In this role, you will be performing a variety of public works civil construction and maintenance laboring duties. This involves considerable physical effort in all weather conditions. Working knowledge of the MMCD standards is required. Duties include a variety of tasks such as maintenance, civil road construction, pavements, sewers, pipe laying, sign installation, asphalt installation, roller experience, performing cement work and concrete installation, including brick paver installation; operating a variety of small equipment and driving trucks; performing maintenance inspections and performing routine equipment maintenance. This position may also rotate into the solid waste, green waste and recycling collector roles.
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with a minimum of 18 months job-related experience including civic experience operating small equipment and maintenance duties such as painting, plumbing and carpentry (form setting), or an equivalent combination of training and civic experience;
- Considerable experience or training and knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions applicable to the work (shoring and excavation, confined space entry, fall restraint, underground utility awareness, working around heavy equipment, power tools, etc.);
- Ability to operate public works maintenance equipment including hand and power tools such as compressors, jackhammers, and cut-off saws and small and large power equipment;
- Ability to shovel, rake, compact, measure and order hot mix asphalt;
- Ability to repair potholes with cold mix;
- Ability to do final paving from large to small projects and knowledge in finishing cement, laying brick and cement block grouting and concrete making;
- Ability to effectively communicate and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Working knowledge operating a de-watering pump;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license with air brake endorsement and proof of a safe and responsible driving record;
- Currently possess or the ability to obtain Wastewater Collection Level I is preferred.
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $28.38 hourly (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and drivers abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m., March 24, 2019
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2019-12
Location: White Rock, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: March 7, 2019, 9:02 am
Expires: March 24, 2019, 4:30 pm