BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Exhibit Preparator – New Media Gallery
Office of the CAO
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Non-standard work hours*
$25.32 – $29.73 per hour + 12% in lieu of all benefits
New Media Gallery is a public gallery, owned and operated by the City of New Westminster. The City of New Westminster is seeking one auxiliary Exhibition Preparator to work on a scheduled on-call basis to support the fabrication, installation and de-installation of international, technology-based art exhibitions at New Media Gallery. This is skilled technical and trades work. It involves regular deconstruction and construction of gallery spaces, and the installation of international artworks, technologies, and exhibitions. The work of this position involves demolition, construction, basic carpentry, dry walling, patching, painting, finishing, and similarly related tasks in building a high quality exhibition space. The work also involves the safe handling and installation of new media artworks and technologies, including such things as video + sound, robotics, biogenetics, AI, and computer-based works. The work will require communicating and working closely with visiting international artists and technicians on a regular basis and following direction from the NMG Director.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a Degree or Diploma in Visual Arts or Digital Technologies plus two years’ experience working in an art gallery, artist studio or museum. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- You have considerable knowledge of standard practices, methods, materials, tools, equipment, and technologies used in exhibition development, installation, and fabrication, particularly related to new media and digital art.
- You have considerable knowledge of the requirements, techniques, materials, methods, operation of computer hardware and software applications used to install multi-media artworks to a high standard.
- You have a demonstrated understanding of the hazards and necessary safety precautions involved in working in art exhibition spaces, workshops and around artworks: with power tools, solvents, and complex technologies.
- You have a track record of working with audio/visual systems and equipment/technologies.
- You have experience packing and unpacking crated works of art, the ability to follow instructions and document the process, and a high level of artwork care and handling techniques and procedures.
- You have the ability to take direction, follow verbal or written instructions, work from rough sketches, notes, blueprints, technical riders, and installation specifications.
- You have significant experience in one or more trades including wall building, demolition, painting, and wall repair.
- You are capable of lifting 50lbs, and are comfortable working on ladders and in cramped conditions.
- You have the ability to work in an exceptionally busy environment, with tight timelines and be sensitive and very responsive to time constraints.
- You are an excellent team worker, have exceptional listening skills and the ability to quickly establish trust, while exercising judgement and tact when working with international artists and technicians.
- You have the ability to pass and maintain a satisfactory Police Information Check.
- You have the ability to work well under pressure, and are able to work non-standard hours and overtime as operationally required on a regular basis for three-week stretches four or five times a year.
- A valid BC Class 5 Drivers’ License would be an asset.
*The successful candidate will be required to work a flexible work schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as required to support operational needs.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-33, by April 5, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Location: New Westminster, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Arts & Cultural Services,Construction,Audio & Visual Services
Posted: March 6, 2019, 3:48 pm
Expires: April 5, 2019, 4:30 pm