BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Administrative Supervisor, Financial AidStudent Financial Aid & Awards
BCIT Student Financial Aid & Awards is seeking a regular, full-time Administrative Supervisor, Financial Aid. The Administrative Supervisor is responsible for the administrative operations of the Financial Aid and Awards department. The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of Financial Aid Assistants and Awards Assistant, ensures services provided to students are wellmaintained, establishes departmental procedures and protocols, and maintains accuracy of internal documents and databases.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the work of an Awards Assistant, three Financial Aid Assistants and any auxiliary staff in providing administrative functioning of financial aid and awards services. Provides backup to these positions, as necessary.
- Supervises support staff including selection, training in Financial Aid and Awards procedures and performance management. Allocates work, schedules breaks, establishes priorities and resolves problems. Ensures the maintenance and appropriate records and documentation for all staff members.
- Trains staff including stakeholders on processes related to the proficient use of internal database systems used to track and maintain accurate records of students, awards, bursaries, scholarships, and appointments. Ensures that all administrative processes such as filing, data tracking, electronic records, and educational materials are maintained according to departmental processes.
- Ensures staff are apprised of updated information, policies, processes and technology.
- Troubleshoots difficult administrative situations, taking immediate action to resolve issues for students, employers, and staff without any further consultation. Refers especially difficult situations to the Coordinators or Director.
- Processes, monitors, and records daily records, inquiries, and pending approvals and ensures timely responses to all departmental transactions.
- Plans, develops, updates documents and implements policies, systems and procedures through consultation with staff, manager, other BCIT departments and/or committees. Gathers data and prepares reports and recommendations on staffing, scheduling, facilities and equipment matters. Provides statistical reporting for the department.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of and ability to interpret federal and provincial policy and procedures manuals, including government amendments and policy clarifications.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of the awards and bursaries policies and procedures.
- Monitors the processing of student loan reassessments and locating appropriate documents and submitting for releasing of funds or refunds
- Liaises with the Coordinator in setting departmental priorities and projecting work flow.
- Works with the Coordinator, and Marketing and Communications department representative to establish annual materials.
- Establishes frontline procedure guidelines and participates in training initiatives as identified by the department, including maintaining training materials.
- Participates in and develops long- and short-term objectives for the Financial Aid and Awards department and provides guidance and tools to ensure these are met.
- Identifies potential issues and makes recommendations for changes/improvements to the Coordinator.
- Maintains, updates, and assigns weekly tasks associated with the processing of student and departmental information.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned consistent with the job grade for this position.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Diploma of Business, Technology or completion of equivalent two-year program.
- Two years of general experience plus two years of administrative and supervisory experience, preferably in financial aid in a post-secondary environment.
- Good understanding of BCIT programs, polices and procedures.
- General working knowledge of BCIT Awards programs, including related application processes for bursaries, entrance awards, scholarships and awards programs.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong computer skills with proven experience using database software.
- Preference for those candidates with experience using Banner and Ministry financial aid systems. Proven experience with MS Access and Excel at a minimum of intermediate level.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with minimal supervision with diverse populations.
- Must possess excellent leadership and diplomacy skills with proven experience creating a positive team environment.
- Must be customer service and detail oriented, self-directed, responsible and dependable.
- Ability to deal with difficult or sensitive matters, using tact and discretion.
- Proven ability to work under pressures and to tight deadlines while remaining flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, to think critically, to find alternate solutions, make decisions, and to prioritize, while handling a wide variety of tasks efficiently and simultaneously.
- Accurate keyboarding skills of 60 wpm, and ability to use the keypad calculator.
*Please note: These are the minimum required qualifications. This position is a dayshift position as defined in Article 14.1 of the Collective Agreement.
May 1, 2019
Pay Grade 8; $50,707 with yearly increments to $55,123 per annum.
February 6, 2019
April 7, 2019
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Financial Administration
Posted: March 5, 2019, 4:37 pm
Expires: April 7, 2019, 4:30 pm