BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Utility Systems Controller ShiftFull-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than November 30, 2019)
Location: Seymour Capilano Filtration Plant, North Vancouver
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
We need leadership, dynamism, and expertise to guide and protect the livability of our region. We need you.
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Utility Systems Controller Shift who will work within the System Control Centre at the Seymour Capilano Filtration Plant, Canada’s largest water filtration plant and UV facility.
Set in the majestic mountains in beautiful North Vancouver, B.C., you will remotely control and operate the region’s transmission system, all from the System Control Centre located inside the water treatment facility. The region will rely on you and your colleagues for their water supply and wastewater collection. Working 12-hour rotating shifts (4 on; 4 off) you will remotely implement the “Daily Utility Systems Operating Plan” through a SCADA interface. You will also be responsible for assisting field operators and trades staff remotely to complete their work within the water treatment, distribution and wastewater collection systems.
This is a challenging and exciting position that provides integral support and is a key position within Metro Vancouver’s utility operations team.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Executes the daily Utility Systems Operating Plan to maintain performance criteria.
- Provides feedback, identifies opportunities for improvement and works with others to resolve problems with the daily Utility Systems Operating Plan.
- Monitors and analyzes trends, alarms and events in the water supply, treatment and wastewater collection systems.
- Detects divergence from the daily Utility Systems Operating Plans and develops new plans and executes those plans as necessary to maintain performance criteria.
- Works closely with other Metro Vancouver staff to ensure an adequate production of treated water is maintained and supplied to municipalities.
- Reviews data quality and initiates corrective action if necessary.
- Applies computer software to assess system operations and uses results to optimize system performance.
- Prepares reports and analyzes the results.
- Assists with the commissioning of new facilities and equipment.
- Reviews operating protocols and makes recommendations for improvements and operates equipment accordingly.
- Applies and adjusts automatic control functions to maintain performance criteria.
- Advises and provides information and guidance to field, and plant staff when carrying out system operations and maintenance work.
- Assists in the training of new Utility Systems Controllers.
- Provides the final clearance in the Maintenance/Construction clearance process to take equipment out of service.Assists with developing and applying procedures as required.
- Communicates with other Metro Vancouver staff, external agencies and the public.
- Undertakes training programs to maintain a high level of competency.
- Keeps up-to-date on changes to transmission and collection systems and equipment used.
- Dispatches staff after hours as required.
- Maintains logs, files and similar records related to the work.
- Works in compliance with all Metro Vancouver policies, safety management system standards, procedures and WorkSafeBC regulations.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Graduation from a two-year Water Technology education program or related discipline (i.e.Water Resources, Wastewater technology, environmental sciences, environmental or chemical technology).
- British Columbia EOCP Class II Water Distribution or Water Treatment Operator Certification, or equivalent Provincial certification.If there are no fully qualified applicants, applicants with lesser certification may be considered.The highest EOCP Water Distribution/Water Treatment Certificate achieved shall be maintained in good standing and a copy of the Certificate shall be filed in the employee file in Human Resources as proof of eligibility.
- Experience operating control systems (SCADA/CDACS) in similar environments is desirable.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision under challenging situations using sound judgment to make decisions.
- Sound knowledge and expertise in the use of a variety of software applications including:modelling and analysis; word processing; common spreadsheet applications, and email.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and dealing effectively with the public.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to give clear direction and advice to operations and maintenance staff.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by March 18, 2019.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Water Services
Posted: March 4, 2019, 12:18 pm
Expires: March 18, 2019, 4:30 pm