BC Local Government Job Posting Service
School District No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
Manager of Human Resources
Okanagan Skaha School District is seeking an outstanding leader for the position of Human Resources Manager effective August 15, 2019, or a mutually agreeable date.
School District No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha), representing the communities of Penticton, Summerland, Kaleden, and Naramata, serves the educational needs of approximately 5900 students through elementary (K-5), middle (Gr. 6-8) and secondary (Gr. 9-12) schools. School District No. 67 employs approximately 950 staff.
Are you interested in being part of a district that is committed to working together for student success by recruiting and maintaining a quality work force? Our school district believes the quality of learning experience and extent of student learning is directly related to the quality of service provided to students by school personnel which is dependent on good human resources practice. Combining the natural beauty and amazing outdoor recreation opportunities associated with the Okanagan lifestyle with an exciting and fulfilling work environment is ideal for those pursuing a healthy balance both professionally and personally.
Reporting to the Director of Instruction-Human Resources, the Manager of Human Resources provides a range of professional human resources services with a focus on recruitment, employee relations, administration of collective agreements, grievance resolution, collective bargaining, and arbitration preparation and presentation. As identified in the School District’s Strategic Plan, the Manager of Human Resources recognizes that positive working relationships between management, employees, and unions results in a healthy and productive work environment which facilitates success for all learners.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Providing consultation and advice to support managers and school administrators in the administration of collective agreements and best practices in labour relations and human resources management.
- Managing recruitment, selection and onboarding procedures for new support staff, management and professional staff.
- Responding to grievances; preparation for arbitrations and communication with counsel as needed. Planning, conducting and summarizing investigations.
- Oversight and expertise with full proficiency in PowerSchool’s atrieveERP. Leadership of personnel file management and implementation of conversion to electronic personnel files.
- Providing leadership for collective bargaining. Participation in bargaining committees.
- Attends, chairs, and participates in formal meetings as required, including: Principals/Vice Principals meetings, Department Meetings, union liaison committee meetings, JEIS meetings, Job Evaluation Committee Meetings.
- Three to five years progressive experience as a Labour Relations Specialist.
- CPHR Designation.
- University Degree in Business Administration focused on Labour Relations or Human Resources, or Post Bacculerate Diploma in Human Resources/ Labour Relations.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven deliverables for negotiations, arbitration handling and establishing collaborative union/management relationships.
- K-12 sector experience.
- Multi – union experience Public.
The communities are nestled on the sides of Skaha and Okanagan Lakes in the heart of wine and fresh fruit country. Apex Mountain Ski Resort, named nationally and North America-wide as one of the finest small destination ski areas, is an easy 45-minute drive from Penticton. The combination of good working conditions, strong community support for schooling, and excellent recreational amenities makes the area a highly desirable home.
For further community information on Penticton see: www.penticton.org
Application closing date:
12:00 noon, March 18, 2019
August 15, 2019 (or a mutually agreeable date)
Interested qualified applicants should apply online at with a cover letter and resume which must include three professional supervisory references familiar with your professional performance. Please also include supporting documents and transcripts. Applications can be submitted through http://bit.ly/2SuGT0g or emailed directly to:
Mr. Jason Corday
Director of Instruction/HR
SD No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
425 Jermyn Avenue
Penticton, BC V2A 1Z4
Tel: (250) 770-7700 ext. 6496
We appreciate all interest in this position. Only those selected for further interviews will be contacted by the District.