BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Requisition ID: 12856
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As a Project Engineer in the Project Delivery Branch you will assist Senior Project Managers in providing full life-cycle project management of complex, inter departmental civil infrastructure projects with multi-million dollar budgets.
The Project Engineer will work collaboratively with multidisciplinary civil consultants, interdepartmentally within Engineering Services, and with other CoV departments such as Law, Planning, Parks, Facilities, Real Estate, Supply Chain Management and Development Services to identify stakeholder and partner requirements and ensure successful planning and implementation of projects.
It is anticipated that the successful applicant will support project management and coordination of several high profile, complex and high risk projects ranging between $1M to $50 M. These projects involve numerous internal and external stakeholders, expedited construction timelines, and challenging urban site conditions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, coordinate, and control the project lifecycle scope, cost, and schedule on select projects in the planning and implementation of capital construction projects related to infrastructure on City streets
- Develop and maintain project documentation, such as: Project Charter, Project Execution Plan, Project Schedule, Risk Register, Stakeholder Plan, Cost, and Progress Reports, etc.
- Develop and build on established partnerships with internal and external stakeholders necessary to successfully deliver on project objectives; ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable.
- Support and administer contracts and management of technical consultants retained to support the planning, design and implementation of transportation and utility network modification projects
- Coordinate and manage departmental review processes for project design drawings and standards, escalating any identified conflicts as necessary to senior staff for resolution.
- Coordinate and manage the construction of internally and externally delivered civil infrastructure projects, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a University Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or EIT in British Columbia would be an asset.
- A minimum 3 years of progressive experience in design, construction management, and project management.
- Accredited project management training (eg. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with Master Municipal Construction Document (MMCD) and Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) guidelines
- Experience in project management including planning, detailed design, construction, and contract management of engineering projects
- Demonstrated ability to take on a leadership role and be proactive at resolving project conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Proven experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal clients and external partners
- Familiarity with the City’s street system and transportation policies and regulations
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong analytical writing and public speaking skills
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2019
Position End Date: March 2021
Application Close: February 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: February 13, 2019, 1:33 pm
Expires: February 22, 2019, 11:59 pm