BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Technical Supervisor - Parking Management
Requisition ID: 12842
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Technical Supervisor, Parking Management is responsible for assigning work, resolving complex issues and developing policies and procedures for Transportation’s Development Review group. This role is critical to ensuring that service levels for the department’s review of rezonings and development permits are met.
This position reports directly to the Senior Development Review Engineer and supervises Transportation’s Development Reviewers.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for supporting Senior Development Review Engineer in the guidance and direction of the Development Review Team
- Plans, assigns, supervises and reviews technical and clerical work associated with processing Transportation comments for development related applications
- Coordinates development reviews and resolves issues with other departments
- Provides technical advice to architects and engineers and makes decisions on unusual or complex problems and in by-law interpretations.
- Provides leadership and technical guidance to staff, including coaching, mentoring, and training, as well as participating in hiring decisions.
- Reviews and comments on development conditions drafted by the development review team and other transportation branches.
- Reviews, recommends, develops, and implements new and/or revised procedures and work methods
- Coordinates tracking and reporting of metrics and development conditions including review timelines, transportation demand management plans, offsite development conditions, and shared vehicle requirements
- Reviews development-related architectural drawings for compliance with the Parking Bylaw and associated design supplements.
- Reviews and comments on complex transportation studies for City acceptance.
- Interprets and explains the requirements of the Parking Bylaw and other regulations, policy, etc. for developers, architects, consultants, the public and other staff.
- Communicates with staff in the Engineering Department and a broad group of other internal and external stakeholders on issues, requirements and design deficiencies relating to the transportation aspects of development projects.
- Occasionally attends open houses outside of normal working hours.
- Supports the branch with research associated with the City’s parking, loading and bicycle facility policies and requirements for development projects.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation, Architecture, Planning or other relevant area of study and considerable related planning or transportation engineering work and supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven supervisory skills with the ability to direct an effective technical review or design service; assign, supervise, review and evaluate the work of and train subordinates
- Demonstrated ability to correctly read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings; ability to review and analyze complex transportation studies.
- Strong knowledge of , Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Experience in GIS software and AutoCAD is preferred
- Experience with HCS, Synchro, SimTraffic, SIDRA, VISSIM, Vistro and/or other traffic analysis software programs is an asset
- Ability to perform complex technical work with tight timelines and multiple priorities and to exercise record keeping
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills to deal tactfully with stakeholders Ability to research and report on transportation issues pertaining to development.
- Familiarity with the Parking Bylaw, Parking, Loading and Bicycle Parking Design Supplements, and other parking related policies, rezoning and development application processes and zoning regulations
- Familiarity with Transportation 2040, the Greenest City Action Plan and other relevant City plans and policies; and knowledge of transportation demand management measures and transportation design guides such as TAC and MUTCD is a benefit.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade 28: $43.04 - $50.85
Application Close: February 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parking/Towing Services
Posted: February 13, 2019, 1:24 pm
Expires: February 22, 2019, 11:59 pm