BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Engineering Assistant IV - Project Coordinator
Requisition ID: 12843
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Section Head, Streets Project Coordination, this Engineering Assistant IV position involves overseeing Streets construction projects and assisting in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of the City’s Streets infrastructure. This particular role will focus primarily on overseeing and coordinating construction works associated with development sites.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates/leads preconstruction/construction planning activities including developing/compiling construction packages across Branches. This includes, but not limited to: the preparation of construction sequencing, scheduling/staging plans; preparation of cost estimates; identification and preparation of site specific condition reports related to hazards/risks; and initiation/execution of project notifications.
- Completes and coordinates technical design reviews and ensures prepared designs meet City design standards that are sustainable/maintainable for City Operations.
- Liaises with City Operations and City Inspection staff to ensure efficient and effective implementation of construction methods as per defined City standards (whether constructed inhouse or by an external contractor).
- Coordinates the development of project-specific traffic management plans.
- Assists developers and external contractors in the construction of Streets infrastructure and coordinates their work with internal branches and outside stakeholder requirements.
- Liaises with consultants, contractors, engineers, other professionals, stakeholders, and regulatory agency representatives for the purpose of coordinating the design and construction phases.
- Provides regular status report updates to the Section Head and Project Stakeholders by monitoring progress throughout the design and construction phases of the project.
- Responsible for overall cost management on projects and oversees project account details, Change Order requests, invoicing and other cash flow processes as required.
- Leads and oversees procurement activities with Supply Chain Management where required including but not limited to the preparation of shopping carts, scope and special conditions for inclusion in tender documents.
- Leads project closeout procedures including deficiency walkthroughs, document archiving, account closures and completion/warranty notifications.
- Leads regular project meetings and responsible for documenting and filing minutes.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented with post-secondary technical training in Civil Engineering, Project Management, Construction Management, Transportation/Utility (water, liquid waste or streets) or other relevant area of study plus considerable experience in civil construction coordination/management or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of civil construction methods and materials (e.g. road, sidewalk, curbs), as well as other associated construction activities/relocations (e.g. drainage, water services, electrical, duct banks etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of City’s Streets Restoration Manual and MMCD Standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management principles and processes and understanding of Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures
- Considerable experience in project management processes – including, but not limited to, cost estimating, scheduling, tracking progress, status reporting etc.
- Working knowledge in MS Project, AutoCAD, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to read/interpret engineering plans, specifications, legal contracts and agreements and assure all contracted work is completed as per the specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, stakeholders, contractors and other employees.
- Considerable experience with and knowledge of corporate and departmental procedures related to contract and construction management.
- Ability to supervise the work of contractors or other subordinate staff engaged in technical field or office tasks.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to prepare clear, well written reports, records, and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: February 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: February 13, 2019, 12:59 pm
Expires: February 22, 2019, 11:59 pm