BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Requisition ID: 12947
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
With nine indoor and five outdoor pools, the Aquatics Program with Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation provides worldclass community programs in various state of the art facilities. Our prized recreation programs are a direct result of the dedicated team who strive to maintain the highest standards of service by giving back to the community in an impactful and rewarding way.
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the Lifeguard/Instructor position to join our aquatics team! If you are interested in joining a dynamic team committed to connecting people to active living as well as making a difference in your community, we encourage you to apply to this opportunity!
Please note that all shortlisted candidates will be required to attend a mandatory Wet Screen Assessment and Group Interview on Sunday, March 3rd. Candidates must also attach their certifications to their application in order to be considered.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Swim instruction, pool supervision, maintenance and emergency medical care
- Facilitating safe community recreation for everyone through integration, inclusion, and participation in aquatic recreation
- Providing every member and guest with support and excellence in customer service
- Teaching and evaluating all age groups and all levels of swimming, including specialized areas of instruction
- Supervision of all visitors, administration of first aid
- Performing routine facility maintenance, and other related duties as required
The successful candidate must possess the following current and valid certificates:
- National Lifeguard Pool Option Certificate
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- CPR Basic Rescuer “C” Certificate (completed between March 3, 2018 - March 2, 2019)
- Standard First Aid, Aquatic Emergency Care Certificate or equivalent (deemed by the City of Vancouver and completed between March 3, 2017 and March 2, 2019).
***Certification as a BCRPA Fitness Registered Instructor (Aquafit Module) and Lifesaving Instructor certifications are especially valuable. The City of Vancouver offers Aquafit and lifesaving programs to all members and guests.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Candidates must have the ability to meet varied shift requirements, which may include, weekends statutory holidays, as well as early mornings and late evening shifts.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: April 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-13a: $23.76 to $27.92 per hour
Application Close: February 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: February 13, 2019, 12:53 pm
Expires: February 24, 2019, 11:59 pm