BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Operations Worker I (Sewer and Waterworks Operations)
Requisition ID: 12720
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff skilled at working in an inclusive and respectful manner with one another and the public. We encourage Women and Men of all ages, racial origins, sexual orientation, gender identity, persons with disabilities, and indigenous peoples to apply.
Main Purpose and Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. Sewer and Waterworks Operations are looking for enthusiastic, hardworking individuals to provide labour assistance including operating a variety of small equipment / trucks and related construction duties, as well as emergency work, while following operational and safety procedures.
Sewer and Waterworks Operations branch functions 365 days/year. This position requires the flexibility to work Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm and may change due to operational requirements.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Operations Workers are assigned to manual work entailing considerable physical effort and agility in the safe performance of a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs to maintain and construct the City's sewer and water system. The Operations Worker will drive and operate a variety of equipment while performing tasks.
Functional and/or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required. Successful candidates will need to be fit tested for respirators as operationally required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring experience in construction.
- Experience working in roles requiring learning new skills, procedures and processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (Hands on Training Available)
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to understand and follow safe work guidelines and procedures and to work in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas.
- Ability to work on ladders, elevated areas and/or confined spaces.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Your driving record will be reviewed as part of the application process. Candidates must demonstrate a safe driving history, as assessed by the City of Vancouver.
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Driving Records Abstract for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 5 years
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary Information: Pay Grade 305: $27.54 per hour
Number of Positions: Multiple
Application Close: February 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: February 11, 2019, 11:00 am
Expires: February 24, 2019, 11:59 pm