BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regular Full-Time (35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning and Development Services Department seeks a Planner to join their team. This exciting opportunity involves a varied work program, working with a team of professionals on a number of strategic and policy projects including, but not limited to, the Official Community Plan Review and the Waterfront Enhancement Strategy as well as development approvals for a broad range of development applications of varying complexity. Over the 2016-2021 period White Rock is anticipating residential growth between 2-3% per year, offering many opportunities to be part of shaping the community as it expands and new businesses are attracted to the area. This position will also regularly liaise with Council, Committees such as the Advisory Design Panel, and the public, requiring outstanding interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Master’s Degree in Planning, supplemented by a minimum of five years of progressively responsible planning experience preferably in a combination of municipal and private sector environments; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Current membership or eligibility for membership with the Planning Institute of British Columbia or Canadian Institute of Planners;
- Experience with GIS systems and data management systems. Experience with Tempest/PROSPERO preferred;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Proficiency with graphic software tools (AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite) is desirable;
- Considerable knowledge of the practices, principles, techniques and methods applicable to urban planning;
- Considerable knowledge of the rules, regulations, policies, bylaws objectives and legislation governing the operations of the Planning Department; with the ability to exercise initiative and make decisions in accordance with applicable
- Sound knowledge of research techniques and methodology and of the current trends and developments in urban planning plus demonstrated ability to collect, analyze and interpret data and submit conclusions and recommendations;
- Sound knowledge of economics, municipal finance and sociology applicable to municipal planning;
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic;
- Ability to prepare reports and recommendations on a variety of planning projects, programs and policies, to communicate effectively and to explain technical concepts and plans;
- Ability to exercise consistent judgement and creativity in dealing with a variety of planning matters;
- Ability to direct the work of technical staff;
- Ability to maintain files, records, reports and related material with detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated ability communicate effectively while providing outstanding customer service to property owners, builders, professional specialists and other internal and external clients to provide a variety of factual information and related services in a professional manner and ability to interpret and explain bylaws, regulations and requirements;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure while dealing with contentious matters and difficult customers and ability to apply conflict management skills when necessary;
- Ability to work well with others and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Possess and maintain a valid BC Class 5 driver’s license with a safe driving record.
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $78,600 – $92,863 hourly 2019 rates with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, degree and drivers abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Location: White Rock, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: February 8, 2019, 9:34 am
Expires: February 24, 2019, 4:30 pm