BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
NO. OF POSITIONS:
Up to 6
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
* See Below
$28.24 per hour + 12% in lieu of all benefits, vacation and statutory holidays
Are you an enthusiastic, hardworking, team oriented and self motivated indvidual interested in pursuing a fulfilling career in public works? If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you! Engineering Operations is currently seeking individuals to fill several auxiliary labourers to who will perform a variety of construction, repair and maintenance tasks both independently or as part of a crew in all branches including Water, Sewer, Streets & Sidewalks, and Solid Waste & Recycling. The successful incumbents will be required to operate a variety of tools, equipment and vehicles as related to the work.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work.
- You have completed Grade 12 (or equivalent) supplemented by demonstrated experience in construction and maintenance work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience .
- It would be a bonus if you have previous Public Works experience including but not limited to: operating heavy trucks, solid waste collection equipment, concrete or asphalt paving experience, or demonstrated experience in the maintenance of municipal water or sewer services and facilities.
- Another bonus if you have completed related courses such as Introduction to Public Works, BCWWA Water Distribution Level 1 and/or Wastewater 1.
- You have demonstrated experience in the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and in the maintenance, installation and repair of municipal water and sewer services and facilities.
- You have knowledge of and ability to follow safety regulations required in the work.
- You have the ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision and to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- You have the ability to maintain effective working relationships within a team environment.
- You have the ability to work effectively and courteously with other City departments and a variety of external contacts.
- You have the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- You have the physical aptitude to perform manual labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- You must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License; however, preference will be given to applicants with a valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement, backhoe certification and/mid-size to large equipment experience.
- You must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
The successful candidate will be available to work up to 40 hours per week (which may include weekends and shift work) for up to 10 months, however, work terms may be adjusted due to seasonal and operational requirements. Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-24 by February 22, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604) 5274619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.